PDA

View Full Version : Blum hinges for face frame

Jeremy Bracey
07-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Ok, sorry if this is redundant. I asked a similar question about brand of hinges yesterday.

I have looked around and found prices for blum in some locations at least CLOSE to the same as cheaper brands.

One problem. THIER ARE SO MANY OF THEM! SO, if you were making face frame cabinets with 1/2" overlay wich hinge would you buy and why?

Thanks again and sorry if this is redundant :D

Joe Scarfo
07-26-2004, 10:56 PM
I use Blum hinges, for face frame mounting, I exclusively use the Compact 33 hinge.

1/2" overlay.. By this you mean a full 1" larger than the hole? If so, the two part numbers are: 33.3600 for the socket (the part for the door) and 130.1100.23 for the edge mount plate.

If you need something different, let me know.

Tks
Joe

Mike Palmer
07-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Ok, sorry if this is redundant. I asked a similar question about brand of hinges yesterday.

I have looked around and found prices for blum in some locations at least CLOSE to the same as cheaper brands.

One problem. THIER ARE SO MANY OF THEM! SO, if you were making face frame cabinets with 1/2" overlay wich hinge would you buy and why?

Thanks again and sorry if this is redundant :D

Jeremy, I like to use the Blum hinges. They make them in a range of 100 deg to 170 deg opening and in a variety of configurations. Below is a description of the ones I use the most.

Clip-On - This lets you remove the door very easily
Self Close - This type of hinge helps the door shut and keeps it shut
125 deg. - This is a good opening range. More isn't always better. Sometimes you want to restrict travel so one door cannot hit an adjacent one.
Face Frame Mount - These mounts have little nibs that help you to register the hinge mounting plate at front of the face frame.
Overlay - You can get a variety of overlays. Full overlay will give you approximately 3/4" of overlay. The demensions are usually given in mm so you will have to convert to determine the hinges overlay range.

I hope this helps.

Brian Riley
07-27-2004, 7:44 AM
Rockler has fairly good guide in regards to choosing the correct hinge for your application. It is geared toward the use of the Blum concealed hinges.

http://www.rockler.com/articles/display_article.cfm?&story_id=11

Hope this helps,
Brian