PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Carla Cronje
04-06-2009, 7:51 AM
Hi there all the Creekers

I want to expand my business and I am looking into buying a rotary machine, maybe a medium size.
Any suggesstions or recommendations?:)

Thanks for a GREAT forum, everyday I learn something new.

Be blessed!!
Carla Cronje

Eric Jackson
04-06-2009, 8:49 AM
I wish I could help. I would like to add that I would be interested in a rotary engraver that works with Corel X3.
Anyone know of a machine?

Joe Motley
04-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Carla
I have had a Gravograph M40G for several years. No problem with the machine. But the software that comes with it is Mickey Mouse and their upgrade is terribly expensive-- several thousand $. My suggestion is to stay away from systems that will only operate with proprietary software.

Mike Null
04-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Carla

The leading brands in the US are New Hermes, Newing-Hall, Xenetech, Vision and Quest. I'm sure there are a couple of more but these are the ones you hear about most often. I have a Newing-Hall and have had very good luck with it.

Rodne Gold
04-06-2009, 12:46 PM
The real way to expand via a "rotary" is not to buy an engraver but rather a heavy duty engraverr/router, like the Isel/techno machines or the like. Something with a 1hp + engraving/routing spindle and a big bed size which can really rip into metals , do quasi3d and cut brass/wood/ally/pex/whatever in a single pass or 2. Something like a 4ft x 2ft or a 4x4 bed size...something decent. Will open up manyt more markets and do a ton more than a simple engraving rotary.

Keith Outten
04-06-2009, 2:10 PM
Carla,

You can purchase a 48" by 48" ShopBot CNC Router for about have the price of a good rotary engraver that would allow plenty of expansion to your business...open lots of doors and be able to still do drag engraving and many of the things rotary engravers can do. This is close to what Rodney has suggested.

If you are convinced that a rotary engraver is the ticket for your shop Mike has offered a good list of potential machines and I agree with his list with the exception of Xenetech. I also agree that a Corel Draw print driver is an absolute must have if you consider a new machine.

Rodne Gold
04-06-2009, 4:33 PM
Keith , like me , she is in South africa, not many choices re machines or support out here , Gravograph is800xp
Vision2448
Gerber dimension 200/sabre
Roland machines
and then some big overhead router stuff like Tekcels

Keith Outten
04-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Sorry, it didn't cross my mind that Carla's choices would be limited. I'm obviously spoiled rotten and take things for granted even though its unintentional.

Carla Cronje
04-07-2009, 7:38 AM
Hi there all.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
It will help a lot in my investigation.

Regards
Carla