PDA

View Full Version : UHMW cylinders

Paul Greathouse
04-06-2009, 3:08 AM
So I keep searching Ebay for good deals on scrap UHMW to make shop jigs. Growing up in a farm/construction family, we saved most everthing and found uses for most everthing.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what useful something, somebody could make with the UHMW cylinders that so many of the sellers are trying to move.

Someone, please enlighten me on some woodworking use for these cylinders so I can have an excuse to buy some. Maybe porch handrail spindles that will never rot? Or, outfeed table rollers? I just can't come up with anything logical. Somebody must be buying this stuff or there would'nt be so many sellers listing them.

Dick Strauss
04-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Maybe they are drilling a hole and using it as a low-friction linear bearing surface for a shaft. I think folks might find it useful when building their own CNC machine.

Lee Schierer
04-06-2009, 12:26 PM
It looks like it is all one seller with a lot of material he is trying to pedal. I've never seen hot pink UHMW before, but I'm not sure I would want a porch railing made out of it.

Hank Knight
04-06-2009, 12:32 PM
It looks like it is all one seller with a lot of material he is trying to pedal. I've never seen hot pink UHMW before, but I'm not sure I would want a porch railing made out of it.

Folks down here in South Carolina are snapping it up for porch railings. It matches the pink plaster of paris flamingoes in the front yard.:D

Jerome Hanby
04-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I was looking at the cylinders for tough low friction bushings for sliding steel guide rods for a wooden screw vise I'm thinking of building.

Chris Fite
04-12-2009, 1:30 PM
This doesn't mean much to me, but here is some use of UHMW for a lathe.

http://www.carlford.info/assets/jigs_tools/UHMW_Custom_Cones/CustomConesReprint.pdf

Gary Herrmann
04-12-2009, 2:02 PM
Yep, jam chucks etc for the lathe.

Paul Greathouse
04-12-2009, 8:11 PM
This doesn't mean much to me, but here is some use of UHMW for a lathe.

http://www.carlford.info/assets/jigs_tools/UHMW_Custom_Cones/CustomConesReprint.pdf

Dang, I had my heart set on pink porch spindles and now somebody finds a practical use for them. I figured if anything, it would have to be some sort of lathe use.