PDA

View Full Version : silly question?

alex carey
04-06-2009, 1:18 AM
this might be silly I have no idea. I want to try a hollow form with a pedestal soon.
Are these turned separately and glued on?
Are they already attached?
Are they even attached?

If anyone knows a link to tutorial that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff Nicol
04-06-2009, 5:39 AM
Alex, There are different ways to do the pedestal base on a HF. I have done it all glued up to start and turned separate and glued on later. I think the best way for me is to turn the body of the HF and leave a tenon or a recess to glue the pedestal stock onto. This way the weight of the main body is lighter and does not add that extra weight to the thinner blank for the pedestal. I use the tailstock to hold the two pieces together untill the glue dries to keep everything running true. I most times keep the pedestal stock towards the headstock and turn it out to what I want. It will work with the pedestal towards the tailstock but I like when I part off the pedestal the spinning stops, the other way I will stop and cut off the last little bit and finish by hand. You also can turn them both separate and glue them after both are sanded and finished if you like. This method some leads to off center or crooked glue ups if there is not enough base on the HF and flat on the pedestal to make a good glue joint.

I think that covers it for me, others will have different ways and if they work then they are good too!

Have fun,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2009, 8:04 AM
Alex - like everything else in turning I am sure there are multiple ways of achieving the same thing. I turn each piece separate and then assemble when once everything is finished. I use a tenon/recess and size everything so it will be a good glue joint. Also, make sure you align the grain of each piece so you minimize any wood movement issues.

Best of luck when you do yours! Looking forward to seeing your first!