PDA

View Full Version : Pen repair

Tom Wilson66
04-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I recently bought several kits for Comfort Pens from PSI, and most of them worked just fine. A couple of the mechanisms will not turn, however:mad:. Is there a way of fixing this? They are already assembled, and I really don't want to take them apart.

John Terefenko
04-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Tom

You learned a valuable lesson and that is always check the mechanism before completing the final steps. With that said, doesn't the top just press on??? Pop the top off and see if the tranny turns. When new some are packed with too much grease and just need a bit coaxing. Lightly back and forth motion should free it up. If that doesn't do it report back here.

Tom Wilson66
04-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Has a few like that, just needed coaxing, but two of them will not turn. Used a lot of pressure, and no go.

John Terefenko
04-06-2009, 12:19 AM
2 choices that I can see. Hit with wd40 or disassemble.

robert hainstock
04-06-2009, 8:12 AM
Since comfort pens are the same as slimlines, (mechanisms) I would disassemble them, and try the mech. by hand. I would suspect lower barrel length issues. Good luck. :eek::):)
Bob

Allen Neighbors
04-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I've had a few that were hard to twist, but never had one that wouldn't. I also suggest taking the top off, and using one drop of WD40 on it. If that doesn't work, remove the transmission. You can buy just the transmissions at Woodturningz.com, and woodnwhimsies.
(Thanks to Brian Effinger and Marvin Hasenaak for those company names.)

Tom Wilson66
04-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the advise, I'll try these ideas and see if they can be made to work. If not, I'll see about getting more transmissions. Thanks again.