PDA

View Full Version : Magnifying Lamp

Rob Mathis
04-05-2009, 9:13 PM
Do any of you guys use something like this?

Any recommendations ?

I am trying to see more detail in my work.

Jack Tyree
04-05-2009, 9:23 PM
Chris Schwartz wrote a blog about them recently over at Lost Art Press. Don't have one, but I need one as I am "visually challenged" (sic blind as a bat).
There is a link there for as nice a one as I have seen. They are quite proud of them though, but all in all I think they are probably worth the money. Most of the cheap ones won't stay adjusted because the screws won't tighten down enough to support their own weight. Had two of them and threw both of them out.

Rob Mathis
04-05-2009, 9:42 PM
You know I want one that will hold in position while mounted to my lathe.

Curt Fuller
04-05-2009, 10:52 PM
I've thought about it but I'm afraid I end up ruining it with either wet shavings, CA flying of a piece I spun to quick, or something. The wall behind by lathe is about what a magnifying lense would look like after a while. I do use bifocal safety glasses though. You can get them up to 3X and they really help me.

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2009, 11:29 PM
If I am doing delicate work and need to see better I use a watchmakers magnifiers. You can get them to view work from 2" to 12" away. I use the ones for 12". They work pretty slick.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi Rob, yes I have one that I use with my little Midi lathe, I don't use it with any big turnings or roughing out wet blanks and the like.
I have one with the 5 inch lens and the fluorescent circle light, I got 2 holes with a pipe pressed in it, in the bench the lathe sits on, that way I can change positions to what works best for me,
After using it a bunch, the little screws and swivel points get a bit loose so you have to tighten them up again, I don't find that too much of a bother, but you could always get a couple of slightly stronger springs if you have too much of a problem with keeping the head up where you want it.
I find that I really need the magnifier to do the minnie turnings, you do have to get used to it a bid having the piece in between you and the turning, also the fluorescent light is not enough for me, so I have also an extra desk light to brighten things up, especially for seeing inside the turnings.

David Walser
04-06-2009, 12:55 AM
I have Rockler's LED work light with the magnifying head. It has a magnetic base AND a clamp base, so it attaches easily to a lathe or a wooden workbench. The 5" magnifying glass is clear and provides an excellent field of view. The 5x power seems to be a good compromise -- powerful enough to see things clearly, not so too powerful that the depth of field is too shallow to be useful. The ring of LED lights provide plenty of light (with a slight blue cast). The light can run on batteries or with an included AC adapter.

My ONLY complaint is that the light found it's way into my wife's craft room and won't come out to my shop.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21264&filter=led%20light

Norm Zax
04-06-2009, 2:44 AM
My father in law has one fixed above his grinding wheel, usually for sharpening drill bits. He does them freehand!

George Guadiane
04-06-2009, 9:21 AM
I have Rockler's LED work light with the magnifying head. It has a magnetic base AND a clamp base, so it attaches easily to a lathe or a wooden workbench. The 5" magnifying glass is clear and provides an excellent field of view. The 5x power seems to be a good compromise -- powerful enough to see things clearly, not so too powerful that the depth of field is too shallow to be useful. The ring of LED lights provide plenty of light (with a slight blue cast). The light can run on batteries or with an included AC adapter.

My ONLY complaint is that the light found it's way into my wife's craft room and won't come out to my shop.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21264&filter=led%20light
This looks like a GREAT light, thanks for posting the link. I have been looking for something like this, but like others, I didn't think the older arm thingies were the best idea.

Jack Tyree
04-06-2009, 1:28 PM
Here's a link to the company I was refering to...

http://www.luxo.com/

(I hope it's ok to post this.)