PDA

View Full Version : help

Tom Allen
07-26-2004, 8:55 PM
I am kinda new to pen turning...maybe about 10 under my belt...anyway I got the corian but am having trouble knowing how to cut it for pen blanks.....any of you guys want to share how and what you do to make the blanks?...size to rip to? Also what glue do you use? Thanks alot for the help!!!:confused:

Earl Reid
07-26-2004, 11:19 PM
Hi Tom and thanks for making pens.
I cut the corian in 5/8" strips and the cut them a little longer than the tubes. I lightly sand the smooth side with 100 sand paper glued to a flat board. I then apply medium CA glue to one side and rub the 2 pieces together
, line them up and clamp them for a short time. then drill the blank. Most of the time I use the same CA glue on the tubes. I sand the tubes with 100 sand paper first. Someone mentioned putting the tubes on a threaded rod to sand ,I tried it and it works very well, I can sand 8 tubes in 30 secs. When using CA glue on wood the only failures I've had was when the wood had unseen cracks, but the glue still would hold.
Good turning, Earl

Seth Bollinger
07-26-2004, 11:53 PM
Tom, first off congraulations on finding one of the most addicting hobbies known to man :eek: :) . But one of the best links I got when I asked abotu the same question is http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/pen%20contruction.htm

I also use the ca med glue to bond the corian and tubes and it seems to work very well. The best tip I can give is to keep you tools sharp! I like to sand my acrylics and corian pens down to 2000 grit sandpaper, but that's just me.

Tom Allen
07-27-2004, 8:12 AM
Thanks for all the great info!!