PDA

View Full Version : My MDF reinforced Grizzly extension table sags

Don Morris
04-05-2009, 7:49 PM
I built my previous router extension table out of 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF glued before I bought my Grizzly 1023SL TS. When I bought the TS I splurged and got Grizzly's 27" X 44" extension table but reinforced it with 3/4" MDF figuring that would do the trick. I wasn't real happy with the surface material but it worked. I have a Bench Dog Pro Lift and a Bench Dog Pro Fence. Yesterday, after a couple years, I noticed almost a 3/16" sag in the middle of the extension table when I made a run on a long piece of custom casing, because the middle result didn't look like the ends.

OK, new router table in order. Seems like many people are going to 3/4" phenolic material as a router table top material, and/or cast metal for the pros. I'm just a serious amateur so I've been looking for a source of 3/4" to 1" phenolic router table tops that are used as TS extensions. I don't seem to find any. The phenolic tops seem to be used mainly as stand alone tops. Also, many come already with cutouts for the 9 1/4" X 11 3/4" templates many other lifts use. The Pro Lift takes a 8 1/4" X 11 3/4" cutout.

My biggest question is: even if I find a 27" X whatever long phenolic router top with or without a cutout that will fit my Pro Lift, how would you secure the 3/4" phenolic side to a 27" TS? My Grizzly has it's machine screw holes 1" down from the top. I really liked having an extension table vs. stand alone table in my small shop.

Thanks for any input and ideas.

Don M

David Winer
04-05-2009, 8:04 PM
"My biggest question is: even if I find a 27" X whatever long phenolic router top with or without a cutout that will fit my Pro Lift, how would you secure the 3/4" phenolic side to a 27" TS? My Grizzly has it's machine screw holes 1" down from the top. I really liked having an extension table vs. stand alone table in my small shop.

Thanks for any input and ideas."
At the Dulles Expo woodworking show last weekend I met a rep from Woodpeckers, Justin Killebrew, who invited me to provide my requirements for a router table for my table saw extension. Tell him what you want and he can probably make one for you. He said he does lots of these, and the price is not appreciably higher than their stock tables. His number is 440-230-2442.

Wade Lippman
04-05-2009, 8:05 PM
I can't answer your question, except to assure you that my corian TS extension wing router table will never sag.

Don Morris
04-05-2009, 8:28 PM
Wade,

How thick is your Corian top, and how did you secure it to your TS?

Don M

Bruce Wrenn
04-05-2009, 8:50 PM
You may have to use a piece of 1/4" X 2" steel to fasten to the table with counter sunk bolts, and then fasten your extension table to the piece of steel. This will allow for lower placement of bolts in extension, which will then clear the top material. Or you can route three pockets on the underside of the top for clearance at the mounting bolts. I would run a pair of rails, front to back as close as possible to router plate opening. The deeper, the better. This will help transfer load to front and back rails of the ext. table. If you have it, you could use bed rail steel for the rails from front to rear.( Remember what weight it carries, especially when a couple of two hundred + pounders are making whoopie. It's strong stuff. )

Rod Sheridan
04-06-2009, 8:49 AM
A cast iron or steel top should be more sag resistant.......Rod.

Jason Hanko
04-06-2009, 11:11 PM
I know that a lot of phenolic is used in the aerospace engineering field. There are lots of sites you can go to and order custom sized phenolic sheets - a few years ago I ordered two 1/2'' thick 12''x'12'' squares that I milled into router table inserts for like $30. It was some internet company out of California.
A little searching and Im sure you'll find lots of companies willing to give you a quote on the size sheet you're looking for.