PDA

View Full Version : Shaper kicks routers butt....News at eleven!

Peter Quinn
04-05-2009, 7:34 PM
Today I finally made a threshhold/reducer for my bathroom entry, its been several years since I renovated the bathroom and I'm getting ready to hang a new door and finish the trim around the tub. Wife says I'm a procrastinator, I claim I'm just a really methodical designer!:D

Anyway, the reducer is a 3/4" X 6" piece with a deep cove on the low side. I like the big soft cove better than a chamfer visually, so I make them with a panel raising bit. The floor in the bathroom is a ceramic tile that is a dead ringer for quarter sawn Wenge! So I made the reducer out of actual wenge to match. For those that aren't familiar with wenge, it is very HARD.

When I put the room together and hung the temporary door, I made a prototype reducer from wenge using the router table because I had the cove panel raiser and did not want to buy a shaper cutter for one piece of wood. The first two attempts simply blew up at some stage of routing even though I was taking VERY light passes. Bad switch backs in the grain that the router bit wouldn't tolerate (as is typical of wenge). I couldn't get rid of the chatter, I still had chip out, I sanded till long after the cows came home to reach a place I would call marginal. I put a finish on it but was never really happy with the results. This was a nearly brand new Freud 2X2 panel raiser that did fine in other material. But not wenge.

Well, I have since purchased the Freud RP2000 kit, which has numerous profiles for the shaper one of which is a cove. In three light passes I had a cove that required about three swipes with a sanding sponge to reach that mill mark free and smooth as a babies bottom place. Just perfect.

Much like the evening news I'm not sure exactly what the point of this notification is, but I can tell you that in careful testing with the same species in a controlled environment (or nearly controlled?) that the shaper KICKED the routers butt hard on this project.

Not to belittle the router table, the last step was to put relief cuts in the bottom of the reducer such as you see in flooring, and at this the shaper was of little help. So I chucked up a 1/2" core box bit and made the reliefs in minutes that would have been much more difficult on the shaper. Perhaps the title should have been "Shaper and router, GOOG GOOD friends!:D I fear that soon my shaper, router table and molder may enter into a menage a trois that will make the tabloids.:rolleyes:

Paul Greathouse
04-05-2009, 7:50 PM
I'm still short a shaper for the "a trois" part of the menage to happen but it will probably be one of next purchases. My router table equipped with a Delta Versa power feeder and my Shop Fox moulder/planer are doing a pretty good job of handling my custom moulding needs right now though.

Rod Sheridan
04-06-2009, 8:47 AM
Yes Peter, there's nothing like optimum cutter geometry and a vibration free cutter assembly to produce good results.

Now just wait until you try it with a feeder!

Regards, Rod.

Peter Quinn
04-06-2009, 7:28 PM
Well Rod, the shaper sat unused until I bought the feeder in my case. I bought it at an auction as part of a package, I actually bought the feeder before I had any tooling. I've had the shaper a few years (actually had it when I made the first threshold but didn't have the tooling to make the cut). This just happens to be one of the few things I've made twice, exactly the same, using first a router table then the shaper. Sort of a raised panel with only one edge raised. Very direct comparison using one of the most difficult species I can think of.

One of these days I'm going to put a versa feeder on the router table, seems like a perfect accessory for the things I do there. I suppose to be fair I should have hand fed the threshold through the shaper, but I wasn't trying to be fair.

Larry Edgerton
04-06-2009, 7:52 PM
There has been a lot of large commercial cutters on the market lately at awesome prices, people in trouble getting rid of excess stock. I have been buying up as many as I can afford. I just bought a 6" diameter fluted trim cutter for 35 bucks in perfect condition.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-07-2009, 1:50 AM
There has been a lot of large commercial cutters on the market lately at awesome prices, people in trouble getting rid of excess stock. I have been buying up as many as I can afford. I just bought a 6" diameter fluted trim cutter for 35 bucks in perfect condition.

I'll really agree with that! There are some ridiculously good deals out there. I just got a new Leitz multi profile that listed at around $500, for about a third of that. Custom or discontinued profile, and it had been on the shelf for a while.

Dick Sylvan
04-07-2009, 3:23 PM
I'll really agree with that! There are some ridiculously good deals out there. I just got a new Leitz multi profile that listed at around $500, for about a third of that. Custom or discontinued profile, and it had been on the shelf for a while.
Where are you guys finding these deals?

Steve Rozmiarek
04-07-2009, 3:33 PM
Mine came from Felder. I think the salesman may have felt sorry for me, getting the right part from Austria had proven to be harder than expected at the time. They had a great entry door set deeply discounted that I passed on too. Ebay has had a few gems of late. I've had great luck buying cheaply from Oella Saw and Tool which lists there. Used industrial stuff mostly.

Mark Bolton
04-07-2009, 5:51 PM
Mine came from Felder. I think the salesman may have felt sorry for me, getting the right part from Austria had proven to be harder than expected at the time. They had a great entry door set deeply discounted that I passed on too. Ebay has had a few gems of late. I've had great luck buying cheaply from Oella Saw and Tool which lists there. Used industrial stuff mostly.

Felder is supposedly running some massive discounts for a short time. Their salesman (Richard) called me talking of some machines discounted close to 50%. I didnt ask about tooling.

I too have been picking up some pretty good deals on Ebay. I have purchased perhaps 8-10 cutters there, all 1 1/4 bore, 6 or so brand new, and didnt pay more than 30-35 bucks for any of them as I recall.

The only thing I will say is that many of the cutters sold on Ebay that I have seen, and some I have won, are definately low end cutters (thin carbide, etc). I am sure they are fine for short runs and a couple resharpens but they dont compare to some of the heavier cutters we have. For 10-35 bucks its worth it. Heck, you cant get a big router bit for that.

Mark

Steve Rozmiarek
04-07-2009, 7:09 PM
Mark, you are right, Felder is having quite a sale right now. I just got a couple new sawblades for a deep discount, so they must be included...

Ebay is buyer beware country, you really need to be sure what you are bidding on. Good deals can be had though.

Peter Quinn
04-07-2009, 7:20 PM
I've been seeing Freeborn cabinet door sets on Ebay, they claim to be brand new, roughly 30-40% of MSRP. Haven't bought any though. i have also gotten some emails from Laguna that caries Garniga, one of the best, at pretty deep discounts, though I have not bough any. Strangely I can only view the Laguna sales via the email links I have received and cannot find the link on the web site. I have not seen any Holy **** I have to get that deals if it means skipping meals for a week but I keep looking. Some how 50% off a $2600 door set is still out of my budget?