PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Hold Downs

Angus Hines
04-05-2009, 7:06 PM
Just a little something I came up with after seeing the metal milling machine versions.

They are laser cut from 1/2" acrylic. For the step down portion I used 5 different 1/4" lines with 30% difference in between the gray scales. Their size is 5" x 1" x 1/2". These can be used either with T Track or screw down.

Gary Hair
04-06-2009, 6:01 PM
Very clever!

Keith Outten
04-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Angus, let me know when you have had an opportunity to test the acrylic hold downs. I had been thinking about making the same thing out of Corian but I wasn't sure whether they would crack after being used several times.

Steve knight
04-07-2009, 2:04 AM
I tried hold downs with my 90 degree corner jig and they did not work. pressure only on one side caused the other to lift even with it against the fence. for the most part my t track clamps hold the material down pretty well.

Angus Hines
04-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Keith I tried Corian cause I can cut it in my laser but it's too brittle as soon as I ran the screw tight they cracked.

But the acrylic as lots of flex to it and works pretty well if you use them on all 4 sides and set your zero accordingly.

I have a set Im gonna bring you next week when you get back to the office so you can try them out.