PDA

View Full Version : Drumming Up A Little Gloat...

Jim Becker
07-26-2004, 5:37 PM
Sakes, alive...the Performax 22-44 Plus I ordered a couple weeks ago finally arrived at my local dealer while I was in Orlando at the AAW Symposium! I'm playing catch-up with the real job after being off last week, but did manage to "slip down there" over lunch today and pick it up. Well, not exactly "pick it up" since the largest box weighs 209 lbs. The dealer had a nice lift dolly and my router table made a nice easy platform to slide it off the back of the truck and into the shop. I choose to buy the sander sans a stand so I can have exact control over the height of the machine relative to other surfaces in my shop. In that manner, I can utilize them as additional support should I need to sand something larger and unwieldy...like those big cherry natural edge pieces I got this past spring.

More to follow, but I thought pictures of boxes are better than no pictures at all...:p

Jim Ketron
07-26-2004, 5:40 PM
Nice gloat Jim congrats!
More pics when you get it ready
Jim

Steve Clardy
07-26-2004, 7:22 PM
Let's see some dust instead of boxes Jim.

Tony Falotico
07-26-2004, 8:23 PM
When I grow up I want to have real tools like you got Jim! :(

Nice acquisition, enjoy! :D :D

Steven Wilson
07-26-2004, 9:00 PM
Nice score Jim, I have it's baby brother and when you need it, you really need it.

Waymon Campbell
07-26-2004, 10:09 PM
Jim shoots...he scores. Sweet machine. I am looking forward to some full reportage on it's ins and outs.

Jim Becker
07-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Thanks, Waymon. See you this Saturday at Five Barns?

John Miliunas
07-26-2004, 10:16 PM
Nice Jim...REAL nice! I know a couple cabinet makers who really poo-poo on drum sanders, but I've come to appreciate mine a LOT! It's certainly NOT made to hog off a whole bunch of wood at once, but with a light touch, it can certainly save the day for many projects! Congrats!!! :cool:

Dick Parr
07-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Very very nice Jim.

Waymon Campbell
07-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks, Waymon. See you this Saturday at Five Barns?

Yep -LOML and I are leaving tomorrow. We'll be making a stop at Ken Salisbury's on Wednesday for a meet and great (I also will drop off a $500.00 check for my FPP Matching Funds initiative).

You know, it just occured to me that I could save you some assembly time by taking those boxes off your hands :D :) :D and back to Texas with me!

Mark Singer
07-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Jim,
Nice choice! They save a lot of time. I usually go from the tablesaw or bandsaw to the drum sander. No jointer or planer unless gluing up... Congrats!

Thomas Prondzinski
07-27-2004, 7:07 AM
Jim
I'll be waiting for more pics and a review of the sander. That's the one I'm waiting to purchase.Let us know how it works. By the way nice gloat.

Tom

Kelly C. Hanna
07-27-2004, 8:43 AM
Way to go Jim! Be sure and keep us posted on assembly and how you like the way it sands!

Alan Turner
07-27-2004, 2:38 PM
Nice score! Your cyclone will get a real workout with that guy.
Alan

nic obie
07-27-2004, 2:52 PM
Jim,

I'm curious about what you think of it.

Be sure to let us know when you get a chance to use it a bit. I read alot about people not liking them, but I don't see too many used ones for sale and my local tool guy says he sells the heck out of new ones.

A big sander like that is about the only major tool I don't have (yet :D ).

Jim Becker
07-27-2004, 2:53 PM
Nice score! Your cyclone will get a real workout with that guy.
Nah, piece of cake for the cyclone. It's the FILTER that will get the workout! ;)

Michael Ballent
07-27-2004, 4:32 PM
I would be interested in knowing how much deflection on the far end there is... This is the same design as the 16-32, but the more expensive version of the 22-44 has a truss over the drum to minimize the deflection as wood is fed into the sander.

Congrats on the new investment :D

Jim Becker
07-27-2004, 4:44 PM
Michael, my understanding is that while Performax made the 22-44 Plus of a similar design to the 16-32, it's a bit stiffer. But yes, I'll be sure to look at deflection and report back on any I observe. It's one heavy sucker...

Michael Ballent
07-27-2004, 6:41 PM
Make sure you take advantage of any friends and use proper PPE ;)

JayStPeter
07-27-2004, 9:37 PM
Keep us informed. That machine is on my list. Consider me jealous.

Jay