PDA

View Full Version : Waterlox finishes question

William Bachtel
04-05-2009, 1:01 PM
Can someone tell me what consistency waterlox is out of the can, I open a new can of it, and it seems a little thick. I never used it before. Will it be like light syrup , or more like general finishes (thinner) Thanks

Robert McGowen
04-05-2009, 1:13 PM
I have used it quite a few times. It is fairly thick to start with. Very light syrup would be a fair comparison. I was using the satin if it matters. Whatever chemical process it uses to cure, it will get clumpy and harden in the can if there is to much air in it. I found that I had to use it up pretty fast after the can got less than a half full. Good luck with it.

charlie knighton
04-05-2009, 4:15 PM
Robert,

it will get clumpy and harden in the can if there is to much air in it
:eek:

you might try putting marbles in can to keep the level up to the top, machael mouse posted that one time and i tried it on some oil which i was having the same problem with, it works great

i have only used waterlox once, but plan to use it again so i have some extra marbles that i get at yard sales

Robert McGowen
04-05-2009, 5:23 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but that is a very useful tip that I have never heard before Charlie. I can certainly see how that would work just fine. Thanks!

Roger Wilson
04-05-2009, 5:29 PM
The Original Waterlox is almost water thin, it's intended to be used as a sealer on various things. And as for keeping it from jelling over, you might consider buying pint and 1/2 pint glass jars (with caps) and decanting the Waterlox into them as it is being used.

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2009, 5:32 PM
I use waterlox quite a bit both satin and gloss. It is like a light syrup. I have had real good luck using bloxygen to keep it from skinning over.

curtis rosche
04-05-2009, 8:37 PM
i found that it is still usable even after it gets thick, it just drys quicker, when it gets really thick, almost jello, you can use it as a friction polish.

on tip to make sure the container is sealed it that when you are done using it, take your rag of brush, and put some on the threads of the cap. it will make it a little harder to open but it will seal it and it seams to make it last longer

Leo Van Der Loo
04-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Which waterlox are you using Bill ??, they have a few different mixtures, also sealers, however the main ingredient is tung oil, in most of these but for the thinning agents.
Tung oil will react with oxygen and becomes a tough solid, so to prevent solidifying you have to keep the air away from the tung oil.

I add water to my Polymerized tung oil, works for me, you can do the same in a metal can, I just like to see how much is left.

Oil floats on water