PDA

View Full Version : Lowboy: Progress Pics

Jim Kountz
04-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I started this lowboy about a month ago and life and other things got in the way of progress but I managed to get some time on it recently and thought I would post some pics of what Ive done so far.
First time with #*!& cabriole legs. They arent perfect by any means but they'll do. I still have some refining to do around the knee areas especially and some sanding but all in all its a good start. All joinery cut by hand (so far)!! That may change when I get to the drawers, we'll see. Carved the right side knee block this morning. The glossy parts on the feet are just where I sprayed some shellac to pop the grain, had to see what it looked like!!

Comments and critiques welcome!!
Sorry about the pics I had to use my cheapo camera for these.

Ed Sallee
04-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Jim, that's coming along great! I love it...... will be watching this one.

John Timberlake
04-05-2009, 12:43 PM
So far, so good. Looks great. Looking forward to seeing it completed. I had one that I started while living in Louisiana and completed in Michagan. In between I lived in WV for 9 years. Hopefully yours won't take that long.

Bruce Page
04-05-2009, 12:54 PM
That is going to be nice!

Jim Kountz
04-05-2009, 1:15 PM
So far, so good. Looks great. Looking forward to seeing it completed. I had one that I started while living in Louisiana and completed in Michagan. In between I lived in WV for 9 years. Hopefully yours won't take that long.

Whereabouts in WV John?

gary Zimmel
04-05-2009, 3:02 PM
Looks like the start of a fine piece of furniture Jim.

Keep us up to date on the progress.

Jerry Olexa
04-05-2009, 3:47 PM
Jim....very nice work....great legs:)

Dewey Torres
04-05-2009, 3:57 PM
Cool stealth gloat on the Incra rule:cool:

Jim Kountz
04-05-2009, 4:01 PM
Cool stealth gloat on the Incra rule:cool:

Ya saw that did ya? That darn thing just showed up in my mailbox one day, some crazy sailor must of left it there!!:D:D

Thats about the handiest tool I have in the shop now. When I was laying out the mortises on the backs of the legs I was thrilled at how much easier it was with that Incra rule.
Thanks Dewey!!

John Keeton
04-05-2009, 6:53 PM
Jim, I definitely think you are a leg man!! Those turned out really nice, and particularly in walnut:D This is going to be a beautiful piece!

And, I like the way you have built the front with such balance that it will stand on its own. That takes planning;)

John Thompson
04-05-2009, 8:51 PM
Agree with John K. on the nice legs.. My first wife loved Queen Anne but I haven't done a set of cabriole legs in 30 years. Looking good and you seem to be progressing nicely.

Sarge..

Jim Kountz
04-05-2009, 9:03 PM
And, I like the way you have built the front with such balance that it will stand on its own. That takes planning;)

For the sake of honesty I have to admit, that just happened to work out like that!!:D:D

Jim Becker
04-05-2009, 9:07 PM
Wow...that's going to be a wonderful, piece, Jim! Will this have the shells?

William Hutchinson
04-05-2009, 9:44 PM
This is going to be one fine piece. I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Don Abele
04-05-2009, 9:46 PM
Jim, even with not much to it yet - it's beautiful. Those legs are gorgous. Any chance you have a pictorial of their making?

And I too was amazed that it was balanced there by itself.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Be well,

Doc

Jacob Mac
04-05-2009, 10:28 PM
It looks great so far. I am sure it is going to turn out great. I aspire to make furniture like this, so I always enjoy these types of threads.

Leo Graywacz
04-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Looks like it is a mighty thin lowboy :D not gonna be much storage in there :rolleyes:

Looks great so far. Keep the good work up and the progress pictures coming.

Jim Kountz
04-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Wow...that's going to be a wonderful, piece, Jim! Will this have the shells?

I was afraid someone was going to ask me that! Actually the particular one Im building from had the fan on the lower middle drawer. Since I have never carved anything like that I have to practice a lot first. If I can get it looking anywhere acceptable then I will include it, if not I may have to pass until my skills allow such a thing!!:D

glenn bradley
04-06-2009, 1:25 AM
Very, very nice start. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

John Timberlake
04-09-2009, 3:46 PM
Whereabouts in WV John?

Just west of Charleston, in Cross Lanes.

Greg Cole
04-09-2009, 4:11 PM
Very nice start there Jim!
I know whatcha mean about life getting in the way... (turkey hunting starts here in MO next weekend).

Greg

Robert LaPlaca
04-09-2009, 6:40 PM
I was afraid someone was going to ask me that! Actually the particular one Im building from had the fan on the lower middle drawer. Since I have never carved anything like that I have to practice a lot first. If I can get it looking anywhere acceptable then I will include it, if not I may have to pass until my skills allow such a thing!!:D

Jim looks like a pretty nice start so far.. I am sure you know this, but Mike Henderson has a great tutorial on fan carvings in the Carving forum..

Jim Kountz
04-09-2009, 9:53 PM
Jim looks like a pretty nice start so far.. I am sure you know this, but Mike Henderson has a great tutorial on fan carvings in the Carving forum..

You know, I did know that but totally forgot, thanks for reminding me Im going to go check that out right now!!

Jim Kountz
04-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Jim, even with not much to it yet - it's beautiful. Those legs are gorgous. Any chance you have a pictorial of their making?

And I too was amazed that it was balanced there by itself.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Be well,

Doc

Well Doc, I was actually doing a video on it and my camera decided it didnt want to live anymore and took a dirt bath. I got through material selection, making a pattern, turning the foot and some of the shaping of the legs before it went. Im looking at some new cameras now and may pick up where I am now with it.
The tutorial I used is called: Bug the crap out of Mike Holden and Dave Keller!! Asking them 1000 questions!! They were a huge help to me making the legs for this.

Thanks Guys!!

Dewey Torres
04-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I hope you post what you have taped and are able to finish the vid:cool:

Bill Wyko
04-10-2009, 2:47 AM
Jim, this is going to be beautiful. Nice work so far. I really want to build one of these someday.:)

mike holden
04-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Jim,
By the looks of those legs, you should now be on the list of "people to bug when making cabriole legs"!
Well done!
Mike

Jim Kountz
04-10-2009, 7:33 PM
Jim,
By the looks of those legs, you should now be on the list of "people to bug when making cabriole legs"!
Well done!
Mike

Wow Mike thats really nice coming from you, I really appreciate that.

In case anybody needs some I have about 8 pine cabriole legs in the shop in various stages of completion!! :D:D

Jim Kountz
04-13-2009, 6:35 PM
Well I was able to get a little more time on the lowboy over the weekend. Got the sides and back panels glued up and shaped and the case glued up and the drawer runners installed. Also took the time (alot of time) to level the leg post with the sides, back and front.
Both front knee/transition blocks are pretty much done, just need some final smoothing out. These things were a real pita trying to do it with only bench chisels, I gotta get some carving tools thats all there is to that!!
I still have to final shape all four knee areas, Ive been putting that off for some reason.:rolleyes:
Turned the drop finials too but Im not sure if I like them or not. A little pointed looking to me.

Question for those in the know, are knee/transition blocks usually installed on the back too? They would never be seen but I was thinking of putting them on anyway just for kicks and giggles.

As usual comment, suggestions all are welcome!!

Dewey Torres
04-13-2009, 7:07 PM
Looking good Jim...I can't answer the questions though.

John Keeton
04-13-2009, 7:08 PM
And it still stands on its own - even with all four legs:D

It just seems like when it takes on the shape of a piece of furniture that you cross that plateau of "will this thing ever come together!!"

Jim, I think it is really looking nice. I know little about Queen Anne nuances, but it all looks good to me. Personally, I wouldn't put knee blocks on the back as they would serve no purpose, but it is YOUR piece, so go for it!

On the finiale, I'm not sure what it is supposed to look like, but it does seem to be "heavy" or too round, or something:confused: Maybe someone who knows could provide a template??

Anyway, I really like the piece - and, bein' as it's walnut - even better!

And, I like the new avatar. Soon as my hair turns dark, I'm going to do another one, too.

Jim Kountz
04-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Well John after shaping two of the knee blocks with a darn chisel I may forget about the back ones. Still got four to go. I got my drawer stock all milled up this evening and will probably work on them some tomorrow if I get time.
More pics to come soon!!

I think you may have a long wait for the hair to change there John!!

Cody Colston
04-14-2009, 1:24 AM
Jim, that lowboy is starting to look great. It's going to be a really nice piece of furniture.

I found a picture of the back side of an antique Cherry lowboy and it did not have knee blocks. In fact, the back of the legs did not even have a knee.

Dewey Torres
04-14-2009, 2:16 AM
Jim, that lowboy is starting to look great. It's going to be a really nice piece of furniture.

I found a picture of the back side of an antique Cherry lowboy and it did not have knee blocks. In fact, the back of the legs did not even have a knee.

Cody...that post is going to make his day!

Leo Graywacz
04-14-2009, 7:56 AM
I've seen them with just simple straight legs. Just the fronts were carved.

Joe Cunningham
04-14-2009, 9:06 AM
Wow, that lowboy is looking great. Following this progress--with practice I hope to get my skills to such a level to be able to work on such a project in the next year or two.

mike holden
04-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Jim,
Remember that these were custom furniture. The customer paid for everything extra.
So, the higher level furniture was made with carving all around. The lower level, not so much. Sometimes they were made with straight legs in the back and cabriole on the front. Depends on what the customer wanted to pay for.
Personally, I would not skip the knee blocks on a cabriole leg, they just look too unfinished to me.
Sounds like you are having problems with yours. They should be simple and straight forward to do.
Cut the decorative profile, hold in place and mark the knee profile, cut a bit full, glue in place. When the glue dries, use your longest bladed chisel to bring down flush with the knee. This is a place for a paring chisel, if you have one; or a cranked handle. Should take fifteen minutes. Only place that is critical is where the block and the side panel meet. I tape a piece of brass over the area of the side panel (or rail) to protect it.
This piece is really looking good.
Mike

Jim Kountz
06-13-2009, 1:49 PM
Ok guys I know I said I was going to document the entire build but I just got lazy and didnt take as many pics as I thought I would. However I did finish the lowboy (with the exception of the final rubout of finish) and wanted to see what you guys think.
Its really too darn shiney right now and I plan to rub it out to a nice semi gloss/satin sheen. Some weird artifacts showed up in the pictures that I assure you arent there in natural light.
The finish is:
BLO and mineral spirits 50/50 mix, two coats
7 coats of amber shellac
4 coats of General Arm-R-Seal Gloss

Actual build time in hours was about 140 +/-.
Im not thrilled with the carving but hey its my first time! There are a couple of places where the gouge slipped and at that point I was not starting over.

Please no heckling from the peanut gallery about my missing baseboards, we're putting in new floors and I havent got around to that yet!!:D

Oh yeah, I thought Id plug some of my turnings too!!

Jim Kountz
06-13-2009, 1:51 PM
And a couple more. The top profile was done entirely by hand with a block plane of all things. A little sanding and boom, one thumbnail edge and no kilowatts used!!

Jerry Olexa
06-13-2009, 2:11 PM
Jim, superior work!!!! All by hand too...Impressive!! love the look of the wonderful walnut. Your details were done very well....Congrats!! Nice results.

John Keeton
06-13-2009, 2:56 PM
Jim, I was just thinking about you and this project today as I was surfing the creek! Wierd!!

The lowboy turned out great! The grain match on the top and sides really shows well, and I can't believe you did the edge profile with a block plane??!!? It looks as smooth as glass - great job. The color is great, the amber shellac really adds some warmth. And, I really like the Arm-R-Seal and the way it goes on. I used the semi-gloss, but I would imagine after you rub this out, it will have a really nice luster to it.

I even bumped the zoom on the carving and couldn't see anything that jumped out - looks great to me!

Man, I know how you feel getting this piece done. They take more time than one ever thinks, but you should really be proud of it. Besides, who else has legs as cute as yours:D:p

Jim Kountz
06-13-2009, 3:01 PM
Jim, superior work!!!! All by hand too...Impressive!! love the look of the wonderful walnut. Your details were done very well....Congrats!! Nice results.

Well alot was done by hand but I have to admit I pulled out the D4 for the dovetails!!

Bill Wyko
06-13-2009, 3:07 PM
Jim, it's absolutely stunning. Great job.

Kevin Rector
06-13-2009, 3:34 PM
That's beautiful!

Jim Kountz
06-13-2009, 3:49 PM
Man, I know how you feel getting this piece done. They take more time than one ever thinks, but you should really be proud of it. Besides, who else has legs as cute as yours:D:p

John, stop with the leg comments, you're embarrassing me!!:o:o

It is a good feeling getting it done and I know you know that feeling having recently completed your hutch project. Did you log the hours by any chance? My report was little more than a guess but its in the ballpark of how long it took me to build this. I think if I ever did another one I could do it quicker now that I have one under my belt.
We'll have to start a "Walnut Boys" club here at SMC!!

I vote you for president:D:D

gary Zimmel
06-13-2009, 4:34 PM
Beautiful work Jim.
And now that it's in the record books what's next on the agenda?

Jim Kountz
06-13-2009, 4:40 PM
Beautiful work Jim.
And now that it's in the record books what's next on the agenda?

Thanks Gary!!
Right now Im actually researching plans for a Butler Table. Ive always like them and we could use a new coffee table. I also have started on a Federal Tilt Top table. I got the column turned already since that was to me the most challenging part. I'll post a few pics later on that one.

John Keeton
06-13-2009, 5:13 PM
We'll have to start a "Walnut Boys" club here at SMC!!:D:DWould that mean we are the "dark horses" of the group???

I didn't log my hours either, but just trying to think thru it..... It took me 14 weeks, and I am going to guess that most weeks I put in 10-12 hours, if not a bit more. I usually worked on it 2-3 evenings during the week, but only for a couple hours at most. Most of the work was on weekends, and I missed a couple of those with other things going on, and I turkey hunted a little. Probably between 125 - 150 would be a good guess. But, I didn't have to carve cabriole legs, do templates, and two or three mockups. That had to take a lot of time.

Ed Sallee
06-13-2009, 5:27 PM
That is one fine piece of furniture, Jim! Outstanding!!!

Well Done!!!

John Thompson
06-13-2009, 6:19 PM
Beautiful outcome, Jim. I did one of those step by steps once. A lot of work to do it on top of a lot of work on the project as I am sure John K. found out. At this point I shoot for just the lot of work in the project. :)

Excellent piece...

Sarge..

sean m. titmas
06-13-2009, 6:51 PM
hey Jim,
those are some very sexy cabriolet legs on that piece but is that a knot or pitch pocket on the flat just above the leg?

Jim Kountz
06-13-2009, 7:11 PM
hey Jim,
those are some very sexy cabriolet legs on that piece but is that a knot or pitch pocket on the flat just above the leg?

Pitch pocket, I did some repair work to it and it kind of blends in now. You can see it but it doesnt stick out of anything so I left it. There is another one in the top although alot smaller. This was all free wood so I just worked with what I had. To me it all lends to the character or at least thats what were supposed to say right??:D:D

Jim Kountz
06-13-2009, 7:15 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys, its nice to hear support form your fellow peers. It was a very rewarding project. I was watching some TV last night and kept losing the plot of the show because I was staring at this thing sitting in my living room finally. It will eventually go to the bedroom but for now its out here where I can admire it from the couch!!

Cody Colston
06-13-2009, 7:33 PM
The lowboy turned out spectacularly, Jim. It's a beautiful piece and one you should be immensely proud of..I know I would be.

Jim Kountz
06-13-2009, 7:48 PM
The lowboy turned out spectacularly, Jim. It's a beautiful piece and one you should be immensely proud of..I know I would be.

Dang Cody thanks!! I was just looking at the rocking chair you posted thinking, "man I wish I could build that!"

Russ Massery
06-13-2009, 8:23 PM
[/QUOTE]It was a very rewarding project. I was watching some TV last night and kept losing the plot of the show because I was staring at this thing sitting in my living room finally. It will eventually go to the bedroom but for now its out here where I can admire it from the couch!![/QUOTE]

Jim, Outstanding job! Your words sum up the rewards of this great hobby. I've found myself staring at a few of my pieces over the years. Also the craftsmanship you and John Keeton did on his Hutch. Makes me try and push my work to a higher level. Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Jim Kountz
06-13-2009, 10:51 PM
I would like to say thanks to a couple of people here at SMC who helped me a great deal with this project. I thought it well worth mentioning.
First of all thanks to Mike Holden and everyone else who helped me out with the design of the legs. I know it took me a number of tries before I got a nice pattern I was happy with. You guys steered me in the right direction for that.
Also Mike Henderson for his great tutorial on fan carving and also answering my messages with question after question.
Wow I feel like this could be an acceptance speech for an emmy or something but it really means alot to me that so many people here was so willing to help each other out.
LONG LIVE THE CREEK!!

mike holden
06-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Jim,
Very nicely done!

As re: the gouge slips - nobody will notice them.....if YOU dont point them out!

Also, look closely at the carving in museum pieces, there are many "mistakes" and are not completely symmetrical -- they are hand carved.

Show this piece off with pride (well deserved), and NEVER point out the errors.

Mike

Jim Kountz
06-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks Mike, that means alot coming from you!!
I will keep the "mistakes" to myself in the future too!!

Jim Kountz
06-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Well guys heres the lowboy after spending sometime rubbing it out yesterday. Took me a long time, I had to keep resting the hand due to the carpal tunnel crap Im going through right now but I got it done. I kinda like the sheen now. Still a little shiney but alot better than before. I think these pics show off the grain better too.
Comments and critiques always welcome!!

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Kountz
06-17-2009, 12:59 PM
I really love the way the top turned out, some beautiful grain going on there.

John Keeton
06-17-2009, 1:12 PM
Now we are talkin'!!!

Jim, this piece just turned out great! The shellac really, really produced a beautiful color, and I personally think the finish is great. The sheen suits the piece, and on closer inspection of the carving - you should be proud! You did a wonderful job.

Kudos to "Purty Legs Jim."":D:D:D

sean m. titmas
06-17-2009, 6:58 PM
Very nice work Jim. Even though im partial to mahogany and the type of finish you put on the piece i never get tired of seeing a wonderfully executed plan that shows off a carpenters skill. Much respect for your efforts.

Jim Kountz
06-17-2009, 7:18 PM
Thanks Sean, do you mean to say you like the finish or suggesting something else?? Reason I ask is Im still undecided about it myself. Its a nice finish but Ive done better in the past.

sean m. titmas
06-17-2009, 11:24 PM
I meant to say that i like the finish. I think it is a classic finish for federal (or similar) style pieces that are made from mahogany. From what was visible in the photos i could see no major or glaring errors.

im also new to the carving game and with a large upcoming project that has a few carved volutes i would be interested in hearing your experience with tool selection, techniques and layout for carving the fans.

John Thompson
06-18-2009, 12:23 AM
I think the sheen is right for the piece Jim. That's a nice carving and an area I really don't have a remote clue with exception of initials on tree's with a barlow earlier in life. :)

Well done and I'm sure you're glad in a way to be finished. I am just wrapped a project up in the next couple of weeks as I have to wait for cure. But come July I'm taking a couple of months off as I don't like to build with the Georgia heat. Can't wait as I've been at it for a year and a half at this point with few breaks.

Extremely well done...

Sarge..