PDA

View Full Version : ellsworth grind template

Dave Bornstein
04-05-2009, 9:30 AM
A while back I saw a post for a steel ellsworth grind template. It was not a turning tool, but a piece of steel with the ellsworth grind used to setup the jigs. I have searched around but can't find it. Does any know where I can order this?

Joe Pfeifer
04-05-2009, 9:46 AM
Craft Supplies has the Ellsworth grinding jig if that's what you are looking for.

Jim Becker
04-05-2009, 9:48 AM
If you are using David's jig for sharpening, you only need a simple wood stop on a flat surface to set the projection of the tool from the jig. If I recall, it's 2", but it's been a long time since I paid attention to the actual measurment. Or maybe you are referring to Don Geiger's very nice support arm for the Wolverine system for use with the Ellsworth grinding jig that has a setup bar for proper distance from the ever-wearing grinding wheel. I use and love that setup.

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Dave - I didn't find anything specifically for the Ellsworth grind - but is this what you were thinking of? http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Universal_Jigs___Profile_Pro___profil e_pro?Args=

Dave Bornstein
04-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks Steve, the link you provided is what I am looking for. I am pretty sure I saw an ellsworth version somewhere.

The problem is that after sharping for a year, the grinds are off a bit and I am looking for a perfect template to set everything up (without spending $100 on a new gouge). I am using a Wolverine Arm w/ Elsworth jig but am not 100% sure everything is perfectly aligned. It doesn't help that I am aligning against my flawed grind...

David Walser
04-05-2009, 11:20 AM
A while back I saw a post for a steel ellsworth grind template. It was not a turning tool, but a piece of steel with the ellsworth grind used to setup the jigs. ...
Dave,

Is this what you were looking for? Craft Supplies USA sells the Profile-Pro as an aide in setting up sharpening jigs. It doesn't come with an Ellsworth grind -- but there's no reason you couldn't grind one end of the Profile-Pro with an Ellsworth grind and then use it to set up your jig from there on.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Universal_Jigs___Profile_Pro___profil e_pro?Args=

Oops! I see Steve beat me to the link. Despite what the time stamp says, Steve's post wasn't up when I started working on my reply!

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Dave - there are always variables when sharpening and one of them to keep in mind is the wear on the wheel. Once you have everything set up the way you want - make a story stick to measure from the wheel to the support arm. Although this takes care of only one of the variables - every little bit helps.

Hope you find the Ellsworth template - I seem to remember seeing one also and will keep an eye out for it.

Hilel Salomon
04-05-2009, 4:26 PM
Here's the jig and site. I think that this is what you're looking for.
http://www.ellsworthstudios.com/david/jigs.html
Hilel

ROY DICK
04-05-2009, 5:55 PM
Dave,
I use a combo of these two,

Jeff Wright
04-05-2009, 8:40 PM
If you are using David's jig for sharpening, you only need a simple wood stop on a flat surface to set the projection of the tool from the jig. If I recall, it's 2", but it's been a long time since I paid attention to the actual measurment. Or maybe you are referring to Don Geiger's very nice support arm for the Wolverine system for use with the Ellsworth grinding jig that has a setup bar for proper distance from the ever-wearing grinding wheel. I use and love that setup.

I, like Jim, like the Geiger Ellsworth jig tool. Here's link to it:

http://www.geigerssolutions.com/vertsol.html

I much prefer it over the Wolverine Ellsworth jig. Call Don (Geiger). He is a nice guy. I've attended his sharpening classes.

Jim Becker
04-05-2009, 9:22 PM
The problem is that after sharping for a year, the grinds are off a bit and I am looking for a perfect template to set everything up (without spending $100 on a new gouge). I am using a Wolverine Arm w/ Elsworth jig but am not 100% sure everything is perfectly aligned. It doesn't help that I am aligning against my flawed grind...

If you are using the stock Wolverine arm with the Ellsworth jig, you must make a block of wood to raise the pivot point on the v-arm to where it needs to be per Ellsworth's instructions. If you do that, your grind shouldn't change materially over time from the original specifications if you setup the proper distance from the wheel face each time.