PDA

View Full Version : Naturally pierced piece

Jeff Nicol
04-05-2009, 7:16 AM
I finished this one a few days ago, it is wormy Butternut crotchwood from a very dead old tree. Most of the butternut trees here in Wi died off a while ago but are coming back some again. On the land I hunt on there are lots of them that are tipped over and laying. I have been able to salvage a lot of the wood but it has tons of bug holes in it. This bowl it turned very thin and some embellishment in the bottom of the bowl and on the bottom. The dimensions are 11"x2.5"The light shows right through it, thus the natural piercing! Thanks for taking a look, the area that is missing is where the wood was rotten and punky so I left it as it was.

Jeff

ROY DICK
04-05-2009, 7:56 AM
Jeff, As always a vey nice turning.

Roy

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2009, 8:23 AM
Jeff that is a beauty. Really like that butternut. Piercings look good.:p

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Interesting wood Jeff! I like you subtle detail work - adds just enough to the bowl without distracting from the grain. Nice work!

Jeff Nicol
04-05-2009, 11:25 AM
The Butternut has such wonderful grain and the bugs do a great job of putting the holes in it! I hand carved the bottom and thought it needed something in the center inside, It is fun to try things and see what works and what does not. I am working on a nice HF from the same tree and it has lots and lots of bug holes!

Thanks,

Jeff

robert hainstock
04-05-2009, 11:52 AM
It works! a very nice piece. Thanks for sharing. :)
Bob

Lionel Mercier
04-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Jeff
That's a challenge turning this wood...
Curious to see your HF it would be a nice antique ?
Lionel

Leo Van Der Loo
04-05-2009, 2:44 PM
The inside embellishment really adds to this form Jeff, I think it leads the eye away from the rim opening and pulls it all together, just like Bob says "it works", nice one Jeff, and it must be feather light with Butternut being a light wood to start off with, thanks for showing ;-))

Jarrod McGehee
04-05-2009, 2:45 PM
Jeff that's a cool looking piece you've got there.

Jeff Nicol
04-05-2009, 8:50 PM
You are right Leo, it is light and almost hard to handle, when people pick it up they expect some more weight and they almost toss it in the air!

Thanks for all the great comments again!

Jeff

alex carey
04-05-2009, 8:53 PM
Thats a nice piece, the more holes the merrier in my opinion.