PDA

View Full Version : wiping varnish over water-soluble aniline dye

Monte Milanuk
04-05-2009, 6:59 AM
Hello all,

I'm just getting started on my first 'big' project, a bedroom suite from Woodsmith #160. First up is the platform bed. Frame is solid cherry, with panel inserts in the headboard. The plans recommend some specific products for coloring... specifically a 'recipe' of several varieties of Moser's water-soluble aniline dyes from Woodworker's Supply for the soid cherry parts, and a mix of Zar cherry stain and Jel'd cherry stain for the plywood panels. After all that detail, the finish section just says 'three coats of wiping varnish'. I gather that since the dyes are water-soluble, most wiping varnishes shouldn't muddy up the dye color... any particular recommendations for a wiping varnish that should be safe with the dye and stain mentioned above?

Thanks,

Monte

Jim Becker
04-05-2009, 9:42 AM
I question the need to apply any coloration to cherry...but that's a "religious" affliction I have.

If you do choose to color, my preference is to seal a water soluble dye with dewaxed shellac prior to applying any topcoat. While an oil based wiping varnish "shouldn't" pick up color, Murphy's Law dictates that it is absolutely possible that it will. Sealing with the shellac also gives you an excellent way to lock in and knock down (with 320 paper) any grain raise and nibs that most certainly come after using a water soluble dye on the bare wood, even if you pre-raise the grain.

Howard Acheson
04-05-2009, 1:43 PM
>> any particular recommendations for a wiping varnish that should be safe with the dye and stain mentioned above?

There are a couple of off-the-shelf wiping varnishes. One is made by Minwax Wiping Varnish, another is Watco Wiping Varnish and a third is Formby's Tung Oil Finish which, despite its name, is a wiping varnish. All are sold in most big boxes.

You can also make your own by mixing your favorite varnish or polly varnish 50/50 with mineral spirits.