PDA

View Full Version : My first resaw experience.....

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2009, 12:11 AM
I have had my MM-16 for over a year and still haven't had a reason to resaw. In fact, cutting bowl blanks has been it's primary job so far. I'm milling and gluing some cherry to turn the pedestal for Norm Abram's Martha Washington's candle stand for the LOML. I had to mill one piece from 1 7/8 down to 1". I hated to mill that much and yet I haven't actually resawn anything before and kiln dried cherry is expensive in Idaho! So.....using the original "it ain't good but it's free 1/2" blade" that came with my MM-16, I resawed a 3/8" piece off the 8" wide cherry board. I set the drift of the blade by resawing a piece of 2x6 and then resawed the cherry. The blade is dull from cutting bowl blanks but even so, I was impressed. I took 2 passes through my surface planer at 1/32" each and the board was gorgeous and I had a 3/8" piece of cherry to use in the future. I really need to mount one of the more expensive Olson bi-metal blades I bought just to see what a good blade will do on that saw!

Steve Rozmiarek
04-05-2009, 3:11 AM
Pretty slick isn't it? I made some drawer dividers this afternoon out of some resaw leftover, that otherwise would have been sucked up through the planer.

If you need to buy a new blade in the future some time, try a Lennox Trimaster, or some other carbide tipped equivilent. You seriously could hit the resawn stock with the normal sanding passes, and completely skip any cleanup planing.

Rick Fisher
04-05-2009, 3:19 AM
Hey.. good for you Ken. I think its actually illegal to own a MM Bandsaw and not resaw.. :)

glenn bradley
04-05-2009, 3:24 AM
Hey.. good for you Ken. I think its actually illegal to own a MM Bandsaw and not resaw.. :)

Well maybe not illegal but fiercely frowned upon :D