PDA

View Full Version : I have some questione & I need some advice

Hans Andrei
04-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Hy all!
This is my first post on this forum.

In few month I`m thinging to start my own bussiness in engrving.
But i`m confuse!
I don`t know wich option is better... to buy a laser machine or to buy a mechanical one.

I would like to engrave metal, glass, wood, plastic and .....

1. If i`m buying a laser machine I still need UV, laminator for metal ?
2. Which way of metal (bras & stainess steel) engraving it`s better... etching or laser?
3. how much is laser machine for marking metal?

Thank you
Best regards,
Hans Andrei

PS: sorry for my english.

Mike Null
04-05-2009, 7:21 AM
Hans

Welcome to SMC.

There are many answers to your questions but with respect to a laser engraver and metal there are some limitations.

1. The only way to mark bare metals (those with no finish) is to use a chemical in conjunction with a laser. This normally works well with steel or stainless steel and less well with other metals.

2. Coated metals, lacquer finished steel or brass, for example, can be beautifully engraved with a laser. This is a standard way to prepare awards, labels etc. Anodized aluminum can be engraved quite well with a laser and is in common use. Other coated aluminum is made specially for laser engraving.

The laser is a more versatile piece of engraving equipment than a mechanical engraver but both have a place and it is hard to make a living with just one piece of equipment.

Mark Winlund
04-05-2009, 7:51 AM
In few month I`m thinging to start my own bussiness in engrving.
But i`m confuse!
I don`t know wich option is better... to buy a laser machine or to buy a mechanical one.

I would like to engrave metal, glass, wood, plastic and .....

1. If i`m buying a laser machine I still need UV, laminator for metal ?

A UV laser is quite expensive. Not sure of what you mean by "laminator for metal".

2. Which way of metal (bras & stainess steel) engraving it`s better... etching or laser?

"Etching" ususally refers to a chemical process to actually etch the metal through a resist. It is a complicated enough process that anyone that does it usually specializes in doing only that.

3. how much is laser machine for marking metal?

One that actually marks the metal is called a UV laser, and they cost anywhere from $80,000 US dollars on up. Not exactly for the beginner, The more common infrared lasers that will mark a coating on metals run anywhere from $2000 for a chinese laser to $50,000 for a top-of-the-line US made laser.

I suggest you read everything in this forum back to day one. It will take you a month or so. A beginner can start with a pantograph and make pretty good money engraving trinkets... you need a retail location near gift shops and jewelry stores. Eventually you will learn enough to know what you don't know, and proceed from there. A complete pantograph setup can cost less than $1000 used. Pantographs are slow, and limited in what they will do, but will get you started.

Thank you
Best regards,
Hans Andrei

PS: sorry for my english.[/quote]

Rodne Gold
04-05-2009, 1:49 PM
You neeed a laser and a mechanical/rotary type machine to do what you want to do.
Startup costs will be in the region of $40-50 000 if you buy decent machinery.
Biggert question are :
How do you know you will have customers and why would they use you?
What is your experieince in engraving?
Do you have software knowledge?
Buying machinery without a solid background in their uses , capabilities , engraving and a decent customer base might be a very expensive mistake.

Hans Andrei
04-05-2009, 1:58 PM
hello again.
Now i`m working volunteer in a engraving company in Uk.
Here I learn how can I etch metals (brass & steel).... but now thinking about a laser machine I don`t know what includes a laser engraving process.

I found on internet a price for an Epilog fibermark (29.000 euro) and it will be more cheaper to buy all machining for etching metals. And I`m thinking as well for an epilog zing laser to use for engrave plastic, wood, glass....

I hope in next future I can see somewhere how it`s working a laser machine. What movies I found on internet it`s not enough.

What do you think about sandblasting cabinet instead of laser for engraving glass? Do you think deserves to have a sandblasting cabinet if I will have a laser engraving?

Best regards,
Hans Andrei

Hans Andrei
04-05-2009, 2:07 PM
hy Rodne Gold
I have knowledge in Photoshop and Illustrator, a little bit (or more) of Corel Draw and Autocad my favorite.
I use to work like sales man home, before to came in UK, and with engraving you can cover a big area of different things. I can make my own catalog and then I can go to find my own customers. Another point ... in my country only few people ar doing engraving... and I have enough space to enter on market.

David Fairfield
04-05-2009, 2:42 PM
A combination of lasered mask and sandblasting may give you better results than you can do with just sandblasting or just lasering. An experienced sandblaster can do much higher quality glass engraving than possible with a laser. But a laser is useful for making sandblasting masks.

HTH

Dave

Rodne Gold
04-05-2009, 4:17 PM
The lasers that mark metal without coating them wont make an engraved or deep mark or cut metals
A decent 1/2 router- engraver type machine and a fair bed size 30-45 watt laser will cover most of your engraving and marking and cutting needs .
What the laser cant cut or mark the router/heavy duty engraver will. You can cover all markets.
I have 6 x 30w lasers , 4 isel engravers/routers, 2 manual pantographs , a Tekcel 4ft x 8ft router , a small roland computerised engraver and a Roland print and cvut large format digital printer a ferric oxide etching machine and other odds and ends , we can do just aabout anything using a combination of processes
Never saying NO and having a We can do attitude counts a LOT in this trade.