PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a new ROS?

Michael Donahue
04-04-2009, 11:11 PM
I have a bit of birthday money burning a whole in my pocket (even though I turned 27 in March, my mom and grandparents still send me some loot! :D)

I was thinking of picking up a new ROS to replace the cheap craftsman one I'm using. It's 2.4 amps and has no bells or whistles. It works OK I guess, but it's tough to hook up a vacuum hose and I have trouble getting a smooth surface with it (though perhaps a bit of that is my technique).

Do you think it's worth an upgrade? There are some nice models in the $60-80 price range that I've been looking at but could use some suggestions. There's a Milwaukee model that looks very tempting. Also, do you think I'll notice much difference if I have more power or variable speed? Could I possibly get a smoother result with a better sander?

Thanks for the tips!

Andy Bardowell
04-04-2009, 11:38 PM
I have one too and the damn thing will not seem to croak so I can get a new one. I noticed that the PC 343K seems to be on sale around for $47-50 dollars as everyone probably wants the new low profile 390K but I can’t seem to justify it when the old Craftsman still works. The variable speed sounds like a good feature especially when using aggressive grits.

Brian Kent
04-04-2009, 11:52 PM
I like the variable speed so I can vary the noise and vibration now and then.

Michael Donahue
04-05-2009, 12:03 AM
I have one too and the damn thing will not seem to croak so I can get a new one. I noticed that the PC 343K seems to be on sale around for $47-50 dollars as everyone probably wants the new low profile 390K but I can’t seem to justify it when the old Craftsman still works. The variable speed sounds like a good feature especially when using aggressive grits.

Do you have trouble getting a smooth finish with your craftsman? I take long passes and never leave the sander in one spot, and I still seem to get lumpy spots no matter how hard I try! :mad:

Andy Bardowell
04-05-2009, 12:32 AM
No although I'm not sure what you mean by lumpy. If it’s what I think you mean then you may have an imperfect pad or worse the cam may be bent causing the pad to wobble. In any event there is your excuse to get a new one!

Mike Henderson
04-05-2009, 1:07 AM
I bought the PC 390K and like it a lot. The major thing is the pad brake so you can put it down without waiting.

Mike

glenn bradley
04-05-2009, 1:53 AM
Although a few folks here have reported issues, I have the Bosch 1295VS and have used it on everything for years. I still have the original brushes but they are just about due. Folks have reported replacing the pad every 6 months but I don't know what they could be doing to cause that.

I am not gentle with the tool but then again I don't do all those things we know you shouldn't do to a ROS either. It was a refurb from CPO Bosch and the ROS20VS looks to be the replacement (?). Dad has the 20VS and it seems just as quick and smooth as the 1295.

P.s. My C-man won't die either but is not a refined tool by any stretch. I may have to shoot it ;-)

Bruce Page
04-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Glenn, we need the story behind your new avatar!

Michael, ditch the craftsman and get a PC. I used to go through the little C’man ¼ sheet sanders on a regular basis until I bought a PC-333. If I were buying new I’d look hard at the 390 but you can pick up a PC-343 with VS for $85 & free shipping from Amazon.

Gary Breckenridge
04-05-2009, 5:22 PM
I'd keep the Craftsman sander for dirty junk work. I'd suggest you upgrade to a good ros sander. I have a 3x21 PC 352 for rough work and a PC 334 for medium work with 100 to 180 grit. I finish things off with a 330 PC with 220 and 320 grit. If you only go with one sander go with the PC 334.

Chris Kennedy
04-05-2009, 6:03 PM
If you have the funds, definitely go for it. I have some sort of PC and it was miles better than anything I had used prior to it. I never understood exactly how good a sander could actually be until I got that one.

Cheers,

Chris

David DeCristoforo
04-05-2009, 6:10 PM
"Should I get a new_______"

The answer to that question is always "Yes, of course you should...."

;)

Rich Engelhardt
04-06-2009, 6:40 AM
Hello,
I have the single speed DeWalt 5".
It ran me about $50.00.
I also have a PC 333, which is a lemon. I got it fee w/the purchase of a PC 690 router.
Nasty little POJ.

Also for maximum dust pickup, the holes in the paper need to align perfectly with the holes in the pad. This also cuts way down on the vibration. I made a simple jig out of dowels and a scrap of plywood.
You can google up plans for a similar jig with a lot more features than the one I made.

BTW - when my DeWalt goes, I plan to replace it with a Festool ETS 125 EQ. It runs about $100.00 more than you want to spend, but, as Festool products go, it's not a bad deal at all @ $170.00.
If you want the ultimate in flat and the ultimate in dust pickup, it's pricey.

Andrew Joiner
04-06-2009, 11:39 AM
I haven't considered Sears for a power tool but then I saw this test:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/tools/4286826.html

The Sears Vibrafree beat Festool and Bosch!

I have a PC 333 that works great. My Ryobi that sands OK but vibrates more than the PC .

Two RO sanders are nice to have. I leave 100 grit in one and 150 in the other.

glenn bradley
04-06-2009, 11:56 AM
I haven't considered Sears for a power tool but then I saw this test:

I would burn out on having to get special paper for my ROS pretty quick but that was very interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

P.s. Don't you know better than to get the Festoolians stirred up? If you thought the EZ Smart guys were bad . . . :D:D:D, not to mention the C-man haters ;)

Andrew Joiner
04-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Yes, Glenn, your right the test fails to mention ODDBALL disks! This test shows a photo.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/uploads/PCD/Documents/News/186OrbitSanders.pdf

The Sears site video shows an 8 hole disk so ?

I think I'll go with the PC 390K, the brake would be nice.

Bill Jensen
04-06-2009, 4:21 PM
I have the Ridgid 5" ROS and I have been more than happy with this model:cool:. It has variable speed and it hooks up well to either 2-1/1" or 1-1/4" shop vac hose for virtually no dust left behind:). I can't remember which magazine it was in but there was a recent comparison done of the 5" ROS's and this model was voted best value (bang for buck). It is also a fairly quiet tool. Another plus is the long (12') power cord, not as much of the cord yanking as with other brands.

Good luck finding the one you like.

Peter Quinn
04-06-2009, 8:02 PM
Ok, I'm no Festoolian, but I do now use Festool sanders exclusively, so I had to read that popular mechanics review, and I have not stopped laughing since. Has PM let the asylum inmates write the copy? Seriously, they consider the craftsman sander a winner because it "Ground through veneer and paint quicker" than the Festool, though the Festool by their own admission left a better surface finish?

Just what do they expect from a fine detail finish sander? I would not consider "Quickly grinds through veneer" to be a positive attribute in any finish sander. in fact when I "grind through veneer" I am generally not very happy with myself. At better than $200 per sheet for AA plywood I would not want to get near it with a tool that claims to be able to "Grind through veneer quicker than the competition". How about "left no swirl marks" as a bench mark?

And if you are using a small ROS to "grind off paint", well, there may be little hope for you anyway. And just where did all that paint and veneer go? Mine goes into a vacuum. Does the craftsman collect dust or must the users lungs act as the DC? And did they use the vacuum with the festool, because with it that pricey paper lasts a very long time and cuts much quicker than without. More questions than answers for the astute reader.

I love the fact that my Festool takes 8 minutes to grind through veneer and paint as that gives me 7 minutes and 59 seconds to stop myself from doing something stupid!:D And when I am sanding down a seal coat on a panel with 320G the last thing I want is a sander that's claim to fame is its ability to rip through a finish like butter. Perhaps they should have tested the Rotex? Oh my god, am I becoming a Festolian? When did this happen?:confused:

Anyway, to the OP, yes, get a new sander if you dont like the one you are using. I tried PC, Bosch, Dewalt and Milwakee (some at work, some borrowed and a few unfortunately purchased) before discarding each for my Festool and couldn't be happier. And now many of these brands are making improvements that make them more like festool, so your options are better than ever. Sanding sucks no matter which tool you use, so get one you like and try to minimize sanding time from design through assembly.

Jason Rutkowski
04-06-2009, 8:33 PM
I think that PM test is a big farce. Since when is anything in woodworking a race???