PDA

View Full Version : Removing collet from Router Shaft

Dan Lee
04-04-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm trying to remove the collet from the motor shaft of a 15 yr old PC7518 router. Need to replace the bearings. The opposite end is round with no flats for a wrench.
I'm assuming to loosen it is a counter clockwise rotation when looking at the collet end. I've tried several lubricants and heating the collet slightly.
I can't get it to loosen anybody ever done this?

Bruce Wrenn
04-05-2009, 9:01 PM
Pneumatic, or electric impact gun will spin that sucker right off.You don't need to clamp shaft. (This will damage bearing mounting surface.) It make take a couple of tries though. When reinstalling collet, just hand tight, as the cutting action of the bit will finish the job. PC often used "bastard" sized bearing, FYI. On one 690, PC was 50% cheaper than my usual bearing place, as this was a special bearing. They use standard right hand threads.

Dan Lee
04-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Pneumatic, or electric impact gun will spin that sucker right off.You don't need to clamp shaft. (This will damage bearing mounting surface.) It make take a couple of tries though. When reinstalling collet, just hand tight, as the cutting action of the bit will finish the job. PC often used "bastard" sized bearing, FYI. On one 690, PC was 50% cheaper than my usual bearing place, as this was a special bearing. They use standard right hand threads.

Bruce
Thanks for the suggestion. My little Makita impact driver spun that sucker right off :D
These seam to be pretty standard size bearings made by NTN