PDA

View Full Version : Glue creep

Jay Jolliffe
04-04-2009, 7:35 PM
Who ever has made a segmented bowl what glue do you use. Do you have to worry about glue creep after it's all done.

Chris Padilla
04-04-2009, 7:38 PM
Well, I've never made a segmented bowl but for the PVAs (yellow and white glue), TB-II is supposed to creep the least.

If you want zero creep, go with a plastic resin glue (DAP/Weldwood--David Marks) or urea formaldahyde. Veneersupplies.com has some veneer glues that dry very very hard (very useful for veneering) that I've used for my veneering projects.

Jay Jolliffe
04-04-2009, 7:55 PM
Thanks Chris...I buy mostly from them. Why I was asking is about 6 months ago I made a few end grain cutting boards which is somewhat like a segmented piece.Well the wood has moved & you can feel the edges of the pieces. Just wondering if there something I could use so that won't happen. I made these as cutting boards but nobody will cut on them because they turned out so nice. I used TB 111 buy the way.

Dick Sowa
04-04-2009, 8:54 PM
Cutting boards would be way different than a normal segmented bowl, since they get wet regularly. TB III would be a good choice for those.

I have never seen creep in any of my segmented bowls, and I use TB original for them all.

With segmented bowls you don't really want a brittle glue. The bowls do flex when turning, and later with changes in humidity. PVA glues are more elastic than CA or plastic resin glue.

Larry Marley
04-05-2009, 12:54 PM
When you glue pieces together, you are introducing moisture into the wood. If you turn within hours of when the glue cures, the wood will continue to dry and shrink, leaving the glue proud.

The first time I did this, I used wood that I had just brought home and without letting the wood moisture stabilize, I glued and turned and finished it in short order. The glue continued to "creep" for weeks after I finished it. I sanded and refinished it twice before it stayed. I did not realize what was happening until much later in my learning curve.

I keep a supply of dimensioned lumber in the shop so when I decide to make something, the wood is acclimated.
Larry