PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Signs

Matt Meiser
04-04-2009, 6:11 PM
I'm going to a customer site the week after next and we are required to have magnetic signs on our rental car to access the secure area of their site. Can anyone here make these? How quick can they be turned around? What do they run? I'd like them to be 8.5x11 so they easily fit in my backpack for travel. They have to have a company logo and name.

Our marketing guy is checking with the guy who did our tradeshow booth to see if he can do them but I thought I'd look for other options too since I'm the one who will be doing a lot of walking from the remote parking lots otherwise!

Robert Parrish
04-04-2009, 6:26 PM
As a retired realtor I bought mine from a local sign shop. I think it took a couple of days to get them made. Check Google for your area. Also I have had them blow off at high speed on the interstate so remove them before you drive fast.

Joe Pelonio
04-04-2009, 8:30 PM
Depending how busy they are most shops could do them within a few hours.
As signs go, they are about the easiest. If they go in your backpack, wrap them around a 3" cardboard tube or put them in a book or binder. They will conform to shapes and keep wrinkled then not stick properly so have to be stored flat or rolled smoothly.

Jason Roehl
04-05-2009, 7:12 AM
Mine are about 12"x18" and I think could be had for less than $100 for the pair. The best place I've found to store them when not in use is stuck to a wide, exposed heat duct.

Jani Pedersen
04-05-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm in the UK so unfortunately can't send any out to you, but we do these for a client group and I don't charge anywhere near $100 for a pair !

I'd strongly suggest that you find a sign vinyl supplier and ask if they sell magnetic sheets by the metre rather than by the roll. I'd then purchase what I need and find someone to cut the vinyl for me keeping it as plain and simple as possible ( ie only text ) in order to keep the cost down.

We advise our users to store the sheets on the side of a fridge when not being used. If they are curved when you apply them to your vehicle you run a high risk of losing them, even the slightest raised edge will be sufficient to allow wind to catch it and tear them off.

Make sure the area you are going to put them is clean and dry or again you run the risk of losing them as well as potentially damaging the paintwork with scratches from dust / grit.

When you first get them, if you have time, store them on a fridge side for the night before you use them to flatten them out.

Joe Pelonio
04-05-2009, 3:52 PM
Most people have a metal file cabinet or side of a fridge that stores them well too. For 8.5x11 you really shouldn't have to pay more than about $50/pair with simple text. There are many online sources but you're probably safer using a local shop and will save shipping.

Jason Roehl
04-05-2009, 10:28 PM
They have to have a company logo and name.

Leo Graywacz
04-05-2009, 10:41 PM
I didn't have a logo for my company for 8 years. My logo was my company name.

Matt Meiser
04-06-2009, 8:42 PM
Looks like our contact is going to be able to make them. We won't have to drive around with them on other than on the site--and the speed limit is max 35 so we shouldn't have to worry about them blowing off.