PDA

View Full Version : Pendulum Cradle

Chris Stolicky
04-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I really don't consider myself a flat-boarder, but I am proud of this project. I consider this my first true flat-boarding project in the sense that I used both a jointer and a planer. I have been playing with power tools for many years so I'm not new to building things.

A lot of the ideas I got when designing this cradle were from searches on SMC, so I am returning the favor for future cradle builders. The design is a combination of a Wood Magazine plan, a Woodcraft Magazine plan, and my own ideas. Most importantly, the cradle was done a month before the due date. Now I'm cranking out 'Its a Girl' pens!

There are more pics and detailed explanations on my flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33681182@N08/sets/72157616126187260/

At the end of the day, I discovered I really missed working on the lathe.

Bruce Page
04-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Chris, beautiful job on the cradle, I love the walnut and maple contrast. I made a similar cradle a few years back using cherry & maple. I was 2 weeks late…:o

John Thompson
04-04-2009, 7:24 PM
I like the contrast also. And.. not much chance of that thing tipping with those feet which is a good thing as the piece is well balanced and proportional.

Sarge..

Chris Stolicky
04-04-2009, 7:49 PM
Yeah, maple and walnut have been favorites of mine lately. I really wanted to make sure the thing was as steady as it could be. The ball bearing pivot points also help with the nice smooth motion.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dewey Torres
04-05-2009, 4:27 AM
I was surprised that I did not see Sam Maloof amongst the credits although clearly not his design seemed to have some influence.