PDA

View Full Version : Text size in Corel

bob pfohler
04-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I've been doing several number tags lately. I noticed when I set my text for 1" letters, type the letter and then drag construction lines to check height they are actually only about .75".
It's like this with all sizes I choose? Anyone else experiencing this?

Dave Johnson29
04-04-2009, 11:27 AM
The character height includes some Leading top and bottom. Leading is from the old typesetting days where they used thin strips of lead to space the lines of characters apart.

Stretch the letter to the actual height you want and read the Size. Then use that for all others of that size.

Andrea Weissenseel
04-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Bob,

maybe this is caused by the outlines, Corel doesn't add the meassure for outlines, so the actual size is in the middle of the outline instead of outer contour.

Andrea

Martin Boekers
04-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Check to see if any of your words have a letter like a "y" that will extend below the baseline. This caught mw ahwile back when I tried to center two seperate lines to each other.

Marty

Mike Null
04-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Converting them to curves should give you the exact measurement.

Others have mentioned that there is invisible spacing around each character.

Text height is usually measured by the height of a capitol H. Letters vary in height in the same font. N's, O's, C's and G's for example.

Joe Hayes
04-04-2009, 4:13 PM
Text height is usually measured by the height of a capitol H

I always heard it was the capital "I" of each font was the rule to measure by. :confused:

Dee Gallo
04-04-2009, 4:39 PM
In the old days, it was known as "X" height or "em" (M) height. Ascenders and descenders didn't count. And you chose your own leading size. But on computers, the auto-leading can vary by a lot, and they do add to the ascenders and descenders, so you must use the ruler and measure if you have to have an exact height. You can adjust the leading, but it does not always work out well. Sometimes you will have to make each line individually to get them close or overlapping.

Make measured guidelines and fit the text inside, but please don't skew/stretch/squash the text, it ruins the integrity of the font design! One of my pet peeves...

cheers, dee

Mike Null
04-04-2009, 6:44 PM
Joe

I made the mistake of googling this topic and came away with a lot of answers, no two of which were alike. You may well be right but I didn't find anything to support either answer.

Tom Cole
04-06-2009, 5:39 PM
As I found out much to my surprize, the number of default decimal places you choose can have a BIG effect on the way text and other measurements are configured. Corel will round off .0175 to .02 if you have 2 decimal places selected and leave it as .0175 if you have 4 selected.