PDA

View Full Version : Learning Experience

Bernie Vail
04-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Boy, talk about woodworking as a "learning experience". Its amazing the things I keep learning. Anyone ever put a bandsaw blade on backwards and then wonder why it wouldn't cut?

Frank Townend
04-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Boy, talk about woodworking as a "learning experience". Its amazing the things I keep learning. Anyone ever put a bandsaw blade on backwards and then wonder why it wouldn't cut?

I don't think you put it on backwards, that's how I mount mine when I want to put a previously cut board back together. :D

Steve Schlumpf
04-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Wow - that must have done a number to your guides!!! Glad you figured it out! Haven't done that but have managed to finally figure out it is hard to get the bowl gouge to cut cleanly when the lathe is running in reverse!

Randy Hoch
04-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Don't feel bad - I've done it ......twice! It cuts, but really poorly! Let's start a support group:o

Randy

Jarrod McGehee
04-04-2009, 1:25 PM
Man i hope you had some cool guides or carter guides.

robert hainstock
04-04-2009, 4:28 PM
OOOOOOPs.:rolleyes:
Bob

andrew zukewycz
04-04-2009, 5:07 PM
just put the plug in the wall upside down... problem solved:D

Thomas Canfield
04-04-2009, 9:46 PM
Bernie,

Putting a blade on "backward" only once makes you check the teeth direction when you open up the folded blade in the future. I did it once, and thought I really had a dull blade only to find out the teeth were pointed up and not down. It only happens about one time out of 25 or more, but a simple check and twist corrects the problem before installation where it is a lot bigger problem after installed and must be removed and set up again.

I heard once "Experience is a poor teacher - it gives the test before instruction." This is one of the learning from experience cases.

Thomas Canfield
05-25-2009, 4:35 PM
It does not pay to think that we know what we are doing. I opened a new 3/8" Green Wood blade that I had ordered from Highland Hardware today and had a tooth prick my thumb. That caught my attention and took my thoughts away from checking the teeth orientation before installing the blade. Needless to say, the backward teeth burn wood and not very well at that. Correctly installed, the blade cut a 13" diameter blank of 4"+ thick Bradford Pear with no hesitation using my circle cutter. It does pay to check your steps even when you have done them hundreds of times.

Jim Kountz
05-25-2009, 6:20 PM
it is hard to get the bowl gouge to cut cleanly when the lathe is running in reverse!

If I had a dollar.....................:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mark Hix
05-25-2009, 7:29 PM
I did it once on the table saw. I kept wondering why it was cutting soooo slow!

Toney Robertson
05-25-2009, 7:57 PM
You know, I would NEVER admit that especially on an internet forum. :D

I guess I am too vain.

Toney

CW McClellan
05-25-2009, 8:24 PM
I an't said nuttin :D