PDA

View Full Version : Full-face Mask Users???

Howard Rosenberg
07-26-2004, 11:12 AM
The plastic strap linking the elastic straps that go over my head broke on my half-face dust mask. It doesn't fit right now and it's always been a drag putting on:
- the dust mask
- my eye protection
- ear protection
and then reversing all of this to take a break.

I'd prefer to get a combo fanned & filtered thing but they're more than I want to spend and distribution is limited in Canada. The Triton thing seemed flimsy.

Does anyone here use a full-face mask that looks like scuba gear? 3M makes them.

I tend to sweat... a lot....

Do these things tend to fog up? I currently get that with the glasses I use and it's annoying to say the least.

Thank you.

Howard

Jim Becker
07-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Howard, I was seriously looking at the Trend filtered mask this weekend at the AAW Symposium. It felt somewhat comfortable on my face and I think that with the air flow it provides, fogging would be a non-issue for the most part. These things are not inexpensive, but perhaps that's good when it comes to personal safety. I don't know if they ship "up north", but Klingspoor had the best price in the trade show for this item at $225. I shoulda bought it, but had already exceeded my "budget" for the weekend...

Dave Anderson NH
07-26-2004, 11:36 AM
I was able to borrow a Trend powered faceshield/respirator a few weeks ago from a local rep. It worked well and was far more comfortable than I thought it would be. Having said that, I decided not to buy it. Several reasons entered into my decision. First and foremost was that it is flimsy and kind of kludged together. One of the little tabs which hold the bottom of the faceshield had already broken off a nearly new unit. I was not impressed with the durability of this unit for long term use. Secondly the battery pack is set up in such a way that you have to disassemble paractically the whole unit and take the battery out in order to recharge it. Definately not user friendly. The battery is only 4 hours though it will hold a second battery for a total of 8 hours, but this adds considerable weight to the unit and adversely effects its balance while on your head.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of reasonably priced choices out there right now. The 3M Airmate was discontinued and all of the rest of the 3M units are VERY expensive. I haven't seen one of the Trition units in the flesh so can't make a judgement. At this point in time I'm still looking since I use a lot of exotic woods in making my tool handles on the lathe. I'm open to suggestions myself.

Ken Salisbury
07-26-2004, 11:58 AM
I was able to borrow a Trend powered faceshield/respirator a few weeks ago from a local rep. It worked well and was far more comfortable than I thought it would be. Having said that, I decided not to buy it. Several reasons entered into my decision. First and foremost was that it is flimsy and kind of kludged together. One of the little tabs which hold the bottom of the faceshield had already broken off a nearly new unit. I was not impressed with the durability of this unit for long term use. Secondly the battery pack is set up in such a way that you have to disassemble paractically the whole unit and take the battery out in order to recharge it. Definately not user friendly. The battery is only 4 hours though it will hold a second battery for a total of 8 hours, but this adds considerable weight to the unit and adversely effects its balance while on your head.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of reasonably priced choices out there right now. The 3M Airmate was discontinued and all of the rest of the 3M units are VERY expensive. I haven't seen one of the Trition units in the flesh so can't make a judgement. At this point in time I'm still looking since I use a lot of exotic woods in making my tool handles on the lathe. I'm open to suggestions myself.

Sorry you didn't like it Dave. I love mine.
As for the access to the battery, I didn't find it hard at all. There is a trick to disengaging the upper face band and sliding it forward to gain battery access, however works well when you figure it out. The broken tab was probably from someone who used the philosophy of "if it don't work - force it" :) .

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder:)

Joe Mioux
07-26-2004, 6:16 PM
Hi Howard;

I have used the same Willson Full Face mask for 12 years. I use it when spraying insecticides, herbicides, etc in my greenhouses. So the thing gets a work out. When I wear it, I have it on for two to three hours at one time. Overall, it is not too uncomfortable for that length of time. Willson Models w6411 sells for around $225.00.

Another brand that you might look at is MSA Advantage 1000 . Sells for around $135.00 to $175.00 depending what size S, M, or L. you need. The cartridges sell for around $25.00 The GME cartridge is NIOSH approved for organic vapors, sulfur dioxide, Chlorine, Chlorine Dioxide, Hydrogen Chloride, Hydrogen Sulfide (escape only), Hydrogen fluoride gases, Ammonia, Methylamine, Formaldehyde. The GME P100 cartidge includes all of the above plus, Paint, Lacquer, Enamels, Pesticides (GMP), Dusts, Mists, Fumes, Asbestos-containing dusts and mists, & Radionuclides.

regards
Joe

Earl Reid
07-26-2004, 8:46 PM
I have both the air mate and the trend, I got the trend about the same time Ken did. It took about 2 weeks for the batteries to" stabilize" so they would last 4 hr. I like the pre filter and the air flow indicator, I use it on both units. I am planning to make a belt pack for larger batteries one of these days. I've had the air mate for saveral yrs and last year I got a new battery and filter for it. I believe it is more sturdy than the trend. But my wife insisted that I get the trend. She said my heath is worth more than the cost of the trend. I do use both units.
Earl