PDA

View Full Version : Raised panel bits with back cutter on <3/4" panels

Michael Donahue
04-04-2009, 9:19 AM
Maybe I'm just having a tough time visualizing it, but I was wondering if you can use a raised panel cutter on stock that closer to 5/8" instead of a full 3/4". I have some 3/4" curly maple that I want to use in some frame and panel doors and by the time I get everything glued up and flattened out I know the panels will be a bit thinner.

Will this work OK? Thanks!

frank shic
04-04-2009, 9:39 AM
michael, with 5/8" you don't need a backcutter. just adjust the raised panel bit so that you get a 1/4" tongue.

Richard M. Wolfe
04-04-2009, 9:44 AM
I don't see any problem with doing that. If you use full 3/4" face frame stock then dedending on where you set the cutting depth you will be just a little shy on one side (or I guess even a little less on both). My preference is to have the raised panel flush with the face so the back is inset a bit, which is not seen till the door is opened.

Michael Donahue
04-04-2009, 10:05 AM
michael, with 5/8" you don't need a backcutter. just adjust the raised panel bit so that you get a 1/4" tongue.

I have my eyes on a new bit set that has a backcutter. I wouldn't need it on this project, but there may be other times when the backcutter comes in handy on other projects down the road. I guess I was trying to figure out if it would get in the way or if it could be removed.

FWIW, I'm thinking about picking up the Freud 97-106 set with the bevel panel raiser and round rail & stile bits.

Michael Donahue
04-04-2009, 10:06 AM
I don't see any problem with doing that. If you use full 3/4" face frame stock then dedending on where you set the cutting depth you will be just a little shy on one side (or I guess even a little less on both). My preference is to have the raised panel flush with the face so the back is inset a bit, which is not seen till the door is opened.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Thanks Richard!

glenn bradley
04-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I guess I was trying to figure out if it would get in the way or if it could be removed.

They can be removed, shimmed, replaced, etc.

David DeCristoforo
04-04-2009, 11:06 AM
It depends on the cutter! Panel raisers are designed to yield a full profile in a given thickness of material. A cutter designed for 3/4" stock may not be completely happy with 5/8" material. Conversely, a 5/8 cutter may not even be able to get deep enough in 3/4" stock to leave a 1/4" tongue, necessitating an extra deep back cut. Simpler raised panel designs are more forgiving. A simple cove shape may work fine in thinner stock whereas a profile that includes a bead detail may not. Of course you can also play with the cutter hight and the back profile. But you may also end up with a panel face that stands proud of the frame or that is recessed. You may have to "play" with the cutter to see exactly what will work.