PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
07-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Well.....another weekend has come and gone.

The BIL and SIL and their kids have now gone and LOML took to....

Guess what......

Master Bath Remodel!!!!!!!!! :eek:

It's been needing to be done for some time now and we decided that now was as good a time as any.....Next to no shop time this weekend and have been busy patching holes in sheetrock where the electricians (if that's what you want to call them) used hammers to cut the sheetrock to put up the MB lights. Worked some in the attic to get the wiring correct and up to code since the "bozo's" didn't get that right either. I am so pi$$ed about how sorry these folks did on this house that I could have done a better job with my eyes closed and both hands tied behind my back.!!!!

Anyway....We're working drywall stuff now since I now have the electrical fixed and ran as it should be. Needless to say....I'll be working MB stuff this week.!!!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks....

Steven Wilson
07-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Well, this weekend I tuned up the mower deck on the JD garden tractor, moved a few things into storage, and built a little box for storing calking, lubricants, and such. Building that little box really freed up some shelf space. I also decided to organize sandpaper. The upside is I have a lot more shelf space to store stuff.

Bob Hovde
07-26-2004, 11:24 AM
I discovered that little things like finishing the ends of gables and garage corners that aren't square can take up more time than putting up walls! :eek:
Finally figured out how to finish the shop gable end, led one (volunteer) tour of our local "caves" (an old underground mine) for the Landtrust, and got rained out Sunday afternoon. It'll be nice when the outside of the shop/garage is done and I can work inside. My lathe is just sitting there, looking sad. :(

Bob

Jim Becker
07-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Well, the "weekend" was spent at the American Association of Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org/)2004 Symposium in Orlando FL. I had a great time; learned a lot and had the opportunity to talk with so many folks that I "know" from online forums. For those of you not familiar with this event, it's an annual conference put on by the association that features three days of training seminars by well-known heavy hitters in turning as well as other highly skilled artists from around north America and the world. In addition to the training, there is an awe-inspiring "instant gallery" where folks exhibit up to three of their works...the level of creativity is simply amazing, whether from the pros or folks relatively new to the spinny-thing. After the banquet on Saturday night, there was the annual auction of donated works to raise money for the association's education fund...this year a record $48,000 was raised in about two hours from the 900 attendees. The concurrent "trade show" was also a winner with so many ways to tempt money from attendees...successfully unfortunately, even for moi! I'll post a separate thread on this event later with some pictures that everyone should find interesting.

Since I was also on vacation last week (using the first of last year's vacation finally...), I also got the "finishing touches" done around the new bay window in the eating area off our kitchen before I left for sunny Floriday. "Before" and "After" pictures are shown below.

Rob Littleton
07-26-2004, 11:44 AM
$48 from 900 people..............

Darn, u beat me........:-)

Dick Parr
07-26-2004, 2:47 PM
The eating area turned out really nice Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-26-2004, 4:01 PM
Worked until midnight Friday. Got home; sipped a couple brews. Saturday began washing and caulking on my new shop. Sunday a 4500 lb. gradient coil was supposed to deliver before 5:00 a.m. Had 3 co-workers drive in from 130 miles away to help install it. Of course, when I contacted the company responsible for shipping it from Chicago.......!@#$%^&*@#$%^&*(. Even though they'd told me Friday noon that 2 drivers were driving it straight through and it'd be here before Sunday 0500......They'd turned it over to a trucking company who's supposed to have it here sometime Thursday. !@#$%^&*()%^&*....Sunday afternoon got some more caulking done. One side of building left to caulk and then on to painting the exterior.

Jack Diemer
07-26-2004, 4:19 PM
Actually got down in the shop for a change. It started off with helping my next door neighbor to cut and drill pen blanks.

.........side bar, he (next door neighbor) took a class on pen turning at woodcraft, told his wife he only needed $200 to get into woodturning, last I checked, he has easily spent over $1500, and he has only been doing it for 3 weeks. Seems like a lot to pay for a dozen or so pens. (Can you tell I am not a woodturner?.......yet)

...........anyway, the wife asked me to build a book to hold kids toys and books that have piled up in our family room. Its one of those Trading Spaces MDF designs. Anyway, I cut up the sections and my wife painted them, I just need to cut dados and glue it up. I think counting the $1 mismatched paint I bought, I will have $25 in the whole project. I'll post a picture next week when its done.

It felt good to get into the workshop, I usually don't spend a lot of time during the summer down there.

Scott Coffelt
07-26-2004, 4:52 PM
Well,

Saturday was spent around the house and out and about. Since we are not going to build a house now, we really need to do a few things around the house. I would really like to put in new windows but after estimating what carpet will cost me, the windows will be on hold. As a side note, I had ThermalKing stop by, what a joke. Talk about your used car sales man. Guy refused to give me a quote, saying you have to sign on the bottom line to get the price the first visit..... BS in my book. Told him to get the hell out of my house and go steal money from old ladies.

Built a proto-type Pez Candy Dispenser display for a client who collects them. Met with the client today and will know how many to build within a week. Worked up some quotes on a few odds and ends for some other clients. Not real work yet, but should supplement the income a little until I get going on something full time.

Finished the display stand for some art work, nothing real fancy but works. It's MDF with some faux granite paint. I'll eventually put a Birdseye Maple top piece on it (raised about 1/2" with a piece of trim set back to look like it floats a little), but for now it is in place and functional.

Brian Austin
07-26-2004, 4:57 PM
I ended up working all day Saturday on a SQL server migration that didn't work (failure). Then I went to an Arizona Diamondbacks game with my boss on his season tickets...and we lost (another failure). Came home to an empty house since my wife is in Michigan. At least the dog was happy to see me.

Sunday, we...the dog and I...worked on the yard a little. Then I cleaned out the garage workshop and moved it to the new shop. It's not neat and organized yet (or even finished inside) but the goal was completed: SWMBO can now park in the garage! After four years of parking in the hot AZ sun, she'll be pleased when she comes home tonight and pulls all the way into the garage!

I also began working on the French drain for the shop. By 2:00pm, the heat won and I moved indoors. Watched a movie while doing laundry and cleaning up the house a little (keeps SWMBO happy and provides exercise for the dog, who apparently needs to be in the same room as I do). Did a little drive building in the backyard (early Schutzhund training for the dog) after dark, then did the nightly walk.

Not a bad weekend, overall. I would have liked working on the shop on Saturday but duty calls.:p

Wes Bischel
07-26-2004, 5:14 PM
Well, I actually got something done in the shop during the weekend for a change. I installed the Penn State overarm guard I bought on sale - the sale was posted previously. It went pretty well, and the guard is well worth the price. Their instructions are a little lacking when attempting a ceiling installation, but I shouldn't complain - worked out. Did a few test cuts and it seems to help a lot with the dust.

Wes

The pics are pre dust collector hook-up and adjustments.

Jack Wood
07-26-2004, 5:55 PM
Rerouted my entire DC system, improved on my mitre station, put heavy commercial grade shelving up that had been sitting around waiting to be put up:D cleaned out my scrap bins placed all the lumber that had been laying on the floor up on the shelves, made a downdraft sanding table, my son and I built portable steps for his schools band bus, and cleaned the shop from one end to the other, but other than that not much.:p

Steve Clardy
07-26-2004, 7:17 PM
for a visit with the oldest son.:D
Working on cabinet job in the shop.;)
Bid another one sunday and got it.:D [new house] like them better than remodels.
Spent most of my time looking for something in the frig to eat, as I despise taking the time to cook.:confused:

Sparky Paessler
07-26-2004, 7:41 PM
Saturday afternoon I spent busting out the wall at the end of the workshop in prepartion for the digging out of the crawlspace and outside access. I talked to my friend and he is going to come next week with a trackhoe and bobcat to dig out the new access. I still have to bust out a foot or so at the right of the old opening but I did manage to get the beam in. A little sore today!

Fred Voorhees
07-26-2004, 9:13 PM
Well, being that I found out that a vast majority of the local tapers and spacklers were simply too busy to do a small job such as my garage conversion, and seeing that asking my younger brother to come up from the shore area to do the job would actually cost him money since he works six or seven days a week, I simply shrugged my shoulders and took on the job of doing the taping/spackling myself. I think I simply still had had enough of that stuff from years back when I did the entire new two car detached garage and workshop and its 120 sheets of drywall. What the heck, this was only two dozen sheets and relatively no hard stuff. Mostly tapered edges - a few butt joints and four corners. Kid stuff!

Oh yeah, almost forgot. During some downtime from the spackling, I managed to whip out this sign for a long time older gentleman freind of mine. Had everything I needed laying around the shop, so it cost me nothing to fabricate. I had never freehanded letters with the router and I had my reservations. However, while spackling, I thought about it and I remembered that I had Microsoft Publisher loaded into my computer. I found some nice fonts and printed out large enough letters and indexed them onto the sign and used them as actual guides for the routing. It actually worked pretty good.

John Miliunas
07-26-2004, 9:25 PM
Weekend? Hah! Almost (I said, "almost"!) happy to be back at work! :eek: Welcome to my nightmare! When we bought the place last Fall, we knew there was this bulging crack in the slab (dining room area), which happened to go all the way to the outside wall. We knew we'd have to repair it, but were told by a friend (supposedly in the "know") that it could just be ground down. Wrong. Had to cut out several feet to either side and the length, plus more near the outside wall. Contracted that out. First major mistake was, I "assumed" that, being as to how it's inside a residence, wet saws would be used. Wrong answer. Welcome to Mt. St. Helen! :mad: The 16' sliding door was the old, old aluminum type, with real poor insulating quality, so we ordered up a 12' unit, custom made to meet a stationary 4' fixed center unit. Well, the guys came Thurs., made a mess and came back Friday to pour. I put up a real temp plastic protection barrier and thankfully, the weather held tight! After they were gone Friday, I started to tear down the rest of the old aluminum rails and brick molding. Horror! All kinds of rot! :mad: The clown who decided to get artsy and put up the pergola above the deck, didn't pitch it one iota! Fact is, much of it pitched toward the house! I have yet to see water naturally flow uphill, so it settled in the low points and everywhere in between. We told the glass guys to hang on to the new door, as now we have major structural issues to resolve. I then elected to put up a more semi-temp "wall" and start tearing down the &*%$^($ pergola! :mad: In the process, found that there were many other areas, mostly with open end grain totally rotting away. Sheeeeesh....Now I'm pricing decking, too! A relatively simply job gone bad and very expen$ive! :( On the bright side, half the tear-down was already done and once this end of the house is completed, it should be relatively easy to keep up. Also, with that pergola gone, LOML decided that she likes it better that way, anyhow! Yay! Just a bit less work and $$$! :) Hope you all have a great week! :cool:

Jack Wood
07-26-2004, 9:51 PM
WOW JOHN:eek: See! you should have never tried to fix that crack! A throw rug and so rearranging of the furniture and you could still be blissfuly ignorant.:D Hope things turn around for you!:)

John Miliunas
07-26-2004, 10:07 PM
WOW JOHN:eek: See! you should have never tried to fix that crack! A throw rug and so rearranging of the furniture and you could still be blissfuly ignorant.:D Hope things turn around for you!:)

My sentiments, *exactly*, Jack! :D Unfortunately, several problems with that line of logic: 1) LOML doesn't see it that way. 2) In the Winter, with prevailing Westerlies, you could feel the "breeze" five feet away from the old patio doors. 3) See #1! 4) The whole #$%^&*($$ wall stood a pretty good chance of NOT standing any longer sometime in the near future and, with my luck, it would happen in the dead of Winter and when I didn't have any $$ or time to fix it. Lastly, see #1! :o :cool:

madlyn barileau
08-06-2009, 5:54 PM
With your comment on busting out a wall maybe you would be the person to ask. My son-in-law and I want to add a screened in patio to my house. The area that I am adding it to is the bay window area of my kitchen. I want to tear down the bay area constructed of brick and window. Below is a full basement. Quarry tile runs up to the baseboard inside the bay window area. Any advice on how to do this with as little going wrong as possible? We will be adding the deck to the home foundation which sits under the brick portion of bay window. What do you think?

Brian Jarnell
08-06-2009, 8:49 PM
Well, the "weekend" was spent at the American Association of Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org/)2004 Symposium in Orlando FL. I had a great time; learned a lot and had the opportunity to talk with so many folks that I "know" from online forums. For those of you not familiar with this event, it's an annual conference put on by the association that features three days of training seminars by well-known heavy hitters in turning as well as other highly skilled artists from around north America and the world. In addition to the training, there is an awe-inspiring "instant gallery" where folks exhibit up to three of their works...the level of creativity is simply amazing, whether from the pros or folks relatively new to the spinny-thing. After the banquet on Saturday night, there was the annual auction of donated works to raise money for the association's education fund...this year a record $48,000 was raised in about two hours from the 900 attendees. The concurrent "trade show" was also a winner with so many ways to tempt money from attendees...successfully unfortunately, even for moi! I'll post a separate thread on this event later with some pictures that everyone should find interesting.

Since I was also on vacation last week (using the first of last year's vacation finally...), I also got the "finishing touches" done around the new bay window in the eating area off our kitchen before I left for sunny Floriday. "Before" and "After" pictures are shown below.
That looks like a lot of work.
How did you change from stain to paint?Or was the brown, paint too?

Jim Becker
08-06-2009, 8:58 PM
This is a thread from 2004. I have closed it accordingly.

Brian, FYI, that was a brand new custom built window that changed the color. All the brown went in the trash.

Jim
SMC Moderator