PDA

View Full Version : The Grizzly $99 chuck and the jaws for it?

Joshua Dinerstein
04-03-2009, 6:39 PM
So I am getting closer to getting my Mustard's new home set up followed quickly by getting it set up.

I was thinking about new chucks and adapters for my old one and I have seen so many comments on here lately about the Griz chucks that I went to their site to look them up. Low and behold they have one that will just fit right onto the lathe. Which is sweet. No extra, possibly wobbly, adapters needed.

But one thing I have liked about my current chucks is the ability to change jaws. I get that you can change jaws on this Griz chuck. My question is more specific. ;)

From what I can gather off of the website it comes only with 1 set of jaws. I figure I must be searching wrong but when I do a search for chuck I don't see any other jaws. Are there any others? Do they sell them or do you have to go and get the Vicmarc jaws from somewhere else?

So for those who on this chuck where have you picked up your extra jaws?

Thanks,
Joshua

William Payer
04-03-2009, 7:03 PM
When you view the chuck on the Grizzly site, go to the link to the page of the catalog it is located on. The two available jaws are on this page, I think for about $20 eac( H6268 and H6269 are the stock numbers)

David Walser
04-03-2009, 7:07 PM
Joshua,

I think Grizzly sells different versions of its scroll chuck to fit different spindle sizes, but the only difference among the versions is the adapter it comes with. That is, I believe the chuck body is a Vicmark clone. Like the Vicmark, an adapter is used to fit the chuck for different spindle sizes.

As for jaws, I'm not sure which of Grizzly's chucks these are for (you could call):http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Dovetail-Jaws-For-4-Jaw-Chuck/H6269 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Dovetail-Jaws-For-4-Jaw-Chuck/H6269)
http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-Pin-Jaws-For-4-Jaw-Chuck/H6268

In addition, you could drive an hour (or so) south Craft Supplies USA and get the Vicmark jaws you want. (Or order off the web.) http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Vicmarc?Args=

One suggestion: I've found switching jaws on the chuck to be a royal pain. If you can afford it, it's better to dedicate each chuck to one set of jaws.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-03-2009, 8:43 PM
If you're looking into jaw interchangeability, Nova claims all the chuck jaws are interchangeable. So, if you start with a small Nova or G3 chuck, and get the supernova, the jaws all interchange. So all the extra jaws you buy will fit all the other chucks. I think you need an insert, that you hate....
I do agree that you should have a dedicated chuck for the different sized jaws. I have to buy another chuck too. The vortex continues.

Bernie Weishapl
04-03-2009, 9:00 PM
Joshua I have three of the H6267 Grizzly chucks. It is the clone of the Vicmarc VM100. All the jaws that fit the VM100 will fit the griz chuck. I have different vic jaws on the griz chuck because I hate changing jaws. These are good solid chucks and worth the $99.

Richard Madison
04-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Joshua, I have two of the H6267 Griz chucks and keep two different jaw sets (shown on page 130) on them. The different model numbers are the same chuck with different inserts to fit different spindle sizes. When I changed lathes I simply ordered a different insert ($20) for my original chuck to fit the new lathe, and ordered another chuck as well as the larger size jaws.

Joshua Dinerstein
04-04-2009, 10:19 AM
When you view the chuck on the Grizzly site, go to the link to the page of the catalog it is located on. The two available jaws are on this page, I think for about $20 eac( H6268 and H6269 are the stock numbers)
And there they are. That is so weird. I wonder why the non-catalog search doesn't show them?!!? Hehehe. I could fix that for them...

Anyway, thanks. I was hoping for a few more jaw types but those are good enough to get started with...

Joshua

Joshua Dinerstein
04-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Joshua,

I think Grizzly sells different versions of its scroll chuck to fit different spindle sizes, but the only difference among the versions is the adapter it comes with. That is, I believe the chuck body is a Vicmark clone. Like the Vicmark, an adapter is used to fit the chuck for different spindle sizes.
I should have been more clear in what I wrote when I posted this. I expected and internal adapter from what I had read about the chuck. The difference in my head was a somewhat simple one. Right now i have the PSI Barracuda 2 chuck and because of it's construction I would need a rather large external adapter to make it work. I used one before on my first little lather that was a 3/4" 16tpi to 1" 8tpi and while I never measured it well enough to prove it perfectly it felt like it introduced a certain amount of wobble. This is what I am trying to avoid.

Joshua

JerHall
04-04-2009, 10:44 AM
The more you extend the chuck with an adapter the more any eccentricities will be amplified. Also external adapters may not be machined to the same standard as the internal adapters supplied by the chuck manufacturer. I believe that the PSI chuck is limited in the sizes of the inserts. The Grizzly goes larger, at least to 1-1/4. Several members of my club have the Griz. and on the 3520 and have been very satisfied. It accepts Vicmarc jaws which I like, and is a good value. essentially a VM100 knockoff. Of course the quality is not as high.

Stephen Massman
04-04-2009, 10:56 AM
I tried to buy one recently in Springfield MO store and they stated they were on backorder until May. This included online orders.

Not sure if that is still the case.

Richard Madison
04-04-2009, 7:15 PM
To clarify (if necessary) regarding "inserts" for the $99 Grizzly chuck, the pictures below show the back of said chuck with the insert installed, and with it removed. The insert shown fits a 1-1/4 - 8 spindle. Should have tried to find the old one for 3/4 - 16 spindle. It looks almost exactly like this one. Depending upon which part number you order, Grizzly installs the insert appropriate to that part number. The standard jaws used to be about 2", but looks like they are a little smaller now.