PDA

View Full Version : Gunstock work

Jerry Murray
04-03-2009, 4:11 PM
This is my first post on Sawmill and after lurking for awhile decided to join. Nice place you all have here!

I am in the process of working on some gunstocks. My first project will be removing some of the forend and replacing that with a laminate block of ebony and calif redwood. I'm also going to add to the grip with the same ebony and redwood laminate.

Anyway I know that most of you all are very experienced and although I have tinkered around in the workshop for a few years, hope to learn alot for you guys and gals.

John Keeton
04-03-2009, 4:50 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you Jerry! Looking forward to seeing some of your work. You have posted in the projects forum, and you may also want to post in the general woodworking forum so more will know you are here!

Jerry Murray
04-03-2009, 4:54 PM
John, thanks and I will post there too.

Jeff Wittrock
04-03-2009, 6:11 PM
Hello Jerry and welcome.

I hope you can post some pictures of your gun stock work. Back when I was in high school, I made a little pocket money making replacement stocks for a gun dealer in my town. It was a lot of fun, and I miss it.

Brian Kent
04-03-2009, 7:00 PM
This is my first post on Sawmill and after lurking for awhile decided to join. Nice place you all have here!

I am in the process of working on some gunstocks. My first project will be removing some of the forend and replacing that with a laminate block of ebony and calif redwood. I'm also going to add to the grip with the same ebony and redwood laminate.

Anyway I know that most of you all are very experienced and although I have tinkered around in the workshop for a few years, hope to learn alot for you guys and gals.

Welcome Jerry. I can't tell if you are kidding or not about laminating Ebony and California Redwood. I see Ebony hardness on the Janka scale as 3,200 to 3,690 and California Redwood at the other end at 420. If you can work the two of those together without creating deep grooves, you definitely earn some kudos!:rolleyes:

Brian Kent

Jerry Murray
04-04-2009, 5:01 AM
Welcome Jerry. I can't tell if you are kidding or not about laminating Ebony and California Redwood. I see Ebony hardness on the Janka scale as 3,200 to 3,690 and California Redwood at the other end at 420. If you can work the two of those together without creating deep grooves, you definitely earn some kudos!:rolleyes:

Brian Kent

Thank Brian. I have in mind what I'm thinking about doing and when my wood comes in I'll be able to better determine how I want it to look. I'll post some photos when I finish.