PDA

View Full Version : Most useful websites?

Roger Jensen
04-03-2009, 2:16 PM
Hi All,

Since the folks using this site value web-based data sources, I was wondering what other sites you use and the pros and cons of each site.

Assuming sawmillcreek.org is a given, I'll get the ball rolling with two of my other favorites:

1. Woodweb
Pros: many professional cabinet makers participate so you get a feel for best practices in the trade. They edit/move interesting threads into the knowledgebase so you can search them after the fact.
Cons: they only want professional woodworkers to post new topics, so if you can't find what you're looking for you violate the terms of service if you're a hobbyist and post anyway. You usually don't get great support if they don't think you're a professional.

2. Target Coatings:
Pros: President of Target Coatings is very active in the forum and responses personally to almost every post, so I feels like I'm getting accurate finishing information.
Cons: Obviously the forum only addresses Target Coatings products and not finishing in general, so it won't help you for every finishing situation.

Any others?

PS - I don't know if this should be posted here or in the off-topic forum, but I'll start it here and the moderators can move it if necessary.