PDA

View Full Version : Project Completion Pics

Matt Meiser
07-25-2004, 9:49 PM
When we moved into our new house in December, my wife and I decided that we should eventually put a fireplace in the family room. A few weeks later, on one of my daily Lowes/Home Depot runs, I saw that Lowes had all their fireplace inserts 1/2 off, so I picked up a vent-free propane unit. It sat in the corner of the family room until a few weeks ago, when I started on this project.

The fireplace is all oak/oak plywood. The carcases are ply, and everything visible on the lower 1/2 is solid oak. The insides of the upper 1/2 are ply. I lucked out and found some oak ply at Lowes that was plain sawn on the "B" side. I picked through and found two good sheets. Joinery is 90% pocket screws and glue. All of the trim was purchased profiles from the big boxes as I didn't want to spend too much time on it. Finish is two coats of Watco Honey Oak danish oil.

I still have to do, or have done the gas plumbing, which shouldn't be too bad as the gas line comes in just beneath it in the basement.

Dick Parr
07-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Very, very nice Matt. That oak looks good.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-25-2004, 10:20 PM
I like it! :D :D

Shelley Bolster
07-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Really purdy, Matt. :) So what's next - matching entertainment center, bookcase, coffee table?

Mike Palmer
07-25-2004, 10:53 PM
Matt, VERY nice work.

Matt Meiser
07-26-2004, 7:28 AM
Next are end tables and a coffee table. I built the entertainment center about 2 years ago, but it is in the living room. Our old house didn't have a family room, so this room needed all new furniture.

Ron McNeil
07-26-2004, 9:31 AM
Matt, Nice Job and the Oak looks great.

Jim Becker
07-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Very attractive, Matt. Nice job!