PDA

View Full Version : Bridge over troubled water came to my mind

Leo Van Der Loo
04-03-2009, 12:33 AM
when I looked at the pictures I made from this piece :rolleyes:
Turned this from the same Black Walnut that got torn out just after Christmas, were I showed a couple of other pieces I made from it.
It is dry now and has distorted a bit but not too bad, I had quite a job sanding the piece as it had to be done by hand, and pretty well all of it, but it's done now, should get a bit more finish on it I think.
It is 12¼" X 8" and 3½" high, with 2 coats of polymerized tung oil on it.
All comments welcome :D

Nathan Hawkes
04-03-2009, 1:04 AM
WOW. I've never seen anything remotely close to that. Very nice, Leo! How did you get the recess between the two "wings" so close together-its a very acute angle there between them....

alex carey
04-03-2009, 1:09 AM
that really shows a lot of skill Leo. I am impressed how you got between those two wings. Really a good job.

Mark Norman
04-03-2009, 1:20 AM
I gotta learn how ya do that Leo!

Please share the secrets with us.

Fabulous piece!!

Mike Null
04-03-2009, 5:55 AM
Leo

Beautiful work.

I'll again put my lathe purchase on the back burner.

Maria Alvarado
04-03-2009, 6:52 AM
Leo, that is a very cool piece, it must have been a challenge (and a hair-raiser) to turn. "Shogun" also comes to mind.

Toney Robertson
04-03-2009, 6:54 AM
+1 on how you got into that deep recess between the wings.

Wonderful form, cool idea.

Toney

Steve Frederick
04-03-2009, 7:18 AM
+1 on how you got into that deep recess between the wings.

Wonderful form, cool idea.

Toney

+ One more..Yeah, that's very interesting!
That's a beautiful piece!

Paul Rains
04-03-2009, 8:06 AM
Amazing piece, we are all waiting for the "secret"

Hilel Salomon
04-03-2009, 8:10 AM
Leo,

I hate to say this, but that sucks! It is incredibly ugly. It just so happens, however, that I have a comparably ugly cocktail table which would disguise it's hideousness perfectly, so.....
Just kidding. It is magnificent.
Hilel.

Dale Miner
04-03-2009, 8:35 AM
Hi Leo,

Did you use the 'Terry Scott' skew method on the wings?

Later,
Dale M

Curt Fuller
04-03-2009, 8:41 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif Bridge over troubled water came to my mind

That's a nice turning. The title on the post caught my eye because whenever I see that picture of you I think of Art, as in Garfunkel.

I really like the shape of the wings.

Barry Stratton
04-03-2009, 8:52 AM
Definitely outside the "box"!

VERY impressive Leo, great job!

George Guadiane
04-03-2009, 9:01 AM
This is a paradigm shift (and a nice one too)!
I like the concept and the shape, and appreciate the work that it took to get it done so well.
Congratulations!

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2009, 9:09 AM
Most impressive Leo! Agree with Maria in that it has a distinct oriental flavor to it! I appreciate the way you consistently throw out new turnings that stimulate everyone's imagination! Excellent work Leo! Thanks for sharing!

charlie knighton
04-03-2009, 9:13 AM
very nice....

Bernie Weishapl
04-03-2009, 9:34 AM
Beautiful piece Leo. Impressive turning.

Bill Bolen
04-03-2009, 2:44 PM
Leo, all I can say is that is one of the coolest turnings I have laid eyes on! just beautiful!...Bill..

Dennis Peacock
04-03-2009, 2:53 PM
Definitely outside the "box"!

VERY impressive Leo, great job!

I agree and my thoughts exactly.!!!

Jim Koepke
04-04-2009, 2:13 PM
WOW!

jim

Skip Spaulding
04-04-2009, 3:18 PM
I can't say anything that hasn't been covered so I'll give you a double "WOW, WOW"!! It must be nice to see things in the abstract and then actually creat them. Very nice Leo.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-04-2009, 8:16 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Says it all.

Bruce

Jarrod McGehee
04-04-2009, 10:18 PM
The underside also looks like a cowboy hat too. I really like that and the color of the WHITE sapwood on there is pretty too.

Jeff Nicol
04-05-2009, 6:53 AM
Leo, When you are holding it showing the bottom it looks like some funky 1780's hat! The bowl is very nice and the color of the walnut is so creamy. Did the rest of the tree have that much white sapwood all over? No matter you have done another great piece of art!

Jeff

Greg Ketell
04-05-2009, 10:46 AM
holy cow, leo. that is an amazing piece of beautiful artistry!!!

your work is always so inspiring to me. thanks for sharing it!

gk

Lionel Mercier
04-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Leo
Amazing yes, no other words...
One more time, how did you perform this so narrow cut between the wings ?
Congratulation,
Lionel

Mike Stephens
04-05-2009, 2:48 PM
Leo excellent job. Very inspiring.

Mike

Leo Van Der Loo
04-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Well I'm quite humbled by all the nice replies from all of you, Thank you very much, I do really appreciate all of you taking time to comment on the piece :o :D
All the questions on the secrets, there are no secrets really, just use what you need to cut the wood, and I think I used pretty well every tool in my arsenal, from bowl gouge to scraper, and no I didn't use a skew to get in the corners, that would work with fairly short wings, but I'm not about to play loose and fast with my good looks :rolleyes: :D, I don't think a skew planted into my scull would improve upon it ;).
I pretty well got all the wood out with my regular gouges, and the last bit with a tool I made to get the last bit out of the corner, basically a narrow scraper.