PDA

View Full Version : Steve Goes Shopping......for Spray Paint

Steve Clarkson
04-02-2009, 11:06 PM
So I went shopping for spray paint today........

The bad news is I found some really bad spray paint and the good news is that I found some GREAT spray paint.

I needed black spray paint to cover some acrylic and I wasn't worried about finding the Krylon Fusion that I normally buy......so when I was in Lowes, I picked up a can of Valspar Plastics Paint, I think it was called. Well, that is the WORST paint ever! It stinks to high holy #$*&^!&$%&#. I had to spray....and spray.....and spray.....and spray......and it still didn't completely cover the acrylic. I've put three coats on and my head is pounding from the fumes. Don't waste your 5 bucks getting this stuff.

But I was also in an art store today and they had this huge LOCKED CAGE full of spray paint in a million colors. The salesperson called it grafitti paint and swore up and down that it was the best spray paint ever invented. It's also an acrylic based paint. It's called Montana Gold. The funny thing is, NONE of the cans had spray nozzles on them. They actually come separately......and they make different nozzles for different paints and different spray widths.

Well, I pulled the can out tonight and attached the spray nozzle.....and then shook it......but it diidn't rattle.....at all. I don't think they use one of those little metal balls.....or else this stuff is REALLY thick! Anyway, I gave it a quick little spray........and my whole piece of acrylic was completely covered! I mean I barely sprayed this stuff for 1/10 of a second! It covered like no paint I had ever seen before.
And it was very low odor.....and only $9......and about $5 online.

Maybe it was a fluke can......but after one experience......I HIGHLY recommend this paint!!!

Joe Pelonio
04-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Did you engrave through it yet to see how it does?

James Jaragosky
04-02-2009, 11:47 PM
So I went shopping for spray paint today........

The bad news is I found some really bad spray paint and the good news is that I found some GREAT spray paint.

I needed black spray paint to cover some acrylic and I wasn't worried about finding the Krylon Fusion that I normally buy......so when I was in Lowes, I picked up a can of Valspar Plastics Paint, I think it was called. Well, that is the WORST paint ever! It stinks to high holy #$*&^!&$%&#. I had to spray....and spray.....and spray.....and spray......and it still didn't completely cover the acrylic. I've put three coats on and my head is pounding from the fumes. Don't waste your 5 bucks getting this stuff.

But I was also in an art store today and they had this huge LOCKED CAGE full of spray paint in a million colors. The salesperson called it grafitti paint and swore up and down that it was the best spray paint ever invented. It's also an acrylic based paint. It's called Montana Gold. The funny thing is, NONE of the cans had spray nozzles on them. They actually come separately......and they make different nozzles for different paints and different spray widths.

Well, I pulled the can out tonight and attached the spray nozzle.....and then shook it......but it diidn't rattle.....at all. I don't think they use one of those little metal balls.....or else this stuff is REALLY thick! Anyway, I gave it a quick little spray........and my whole piece of acrylic was completely covered! I mean I barely sprayed this stuff for 1/10 of a second! It covered like no paint I had ever seen before.
And it was very low odor.....and only $9......and about $5 online.

Maybe it was a fluke can......but after one experience......I HIGHLY recommend this paint!!!
but all the sites selling this stuff want $8.29. Where did you see it for around $5.
Jim J.

Dave Johnson29
04-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Where did you see it for around $5.

Hi Jim,

http://www.33third.com/?gclid=CJOe3oCE1ZkCFQ6jagoddDB9VQ

Scott Erwin
04-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi Jim,

http://www.33third.com/?gclid=CJOe3oCE1ZkCFQ6jagoddDB9VQ

The paint listed on this link is Montana 94 - (Spanish) - and the stuff Steve referes to is Montana Gold. - (German) - which is a different product. The labels are different and the listings are different.

However, the Gold is still cheaper at the site above at 6.20/can but not at 5/can. These guys are by far the cheapest for the Gold version from anything I can find also.

Steve Clarkson
04-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Scott is correct......I was looking at the Spanish version......the one I have is the German gold version.

And No Joe......I haven't tried to engrave through it......yet. I'll let you know when I do.

And that Lowes paint STINKS!!!! It finally dried by this morning and it didn't come close to making the acrylic black enough to be opaque. I want my four dollars back!

James Jaragosky
04-03-2009, 1:03 PM
Scott is correct......I was looking at the Spanish version......the one I have is the German gold version.

And No Joe......I haven't tried to engrave through it......yet. I'll let you know when I do.

And that Lowes paint STINKS!!!! It finally dried by this morning and it didn't come close to making the acrylic black enough to be opaque. I want my four dollars back!

If you didn't finish the can; I Believe with a recite Lowe's will refund you your money.

Frank Trinkle
04-03-2009, 1:05 PM
Geez! After going to that site, I gotta bone up on my gangbanger symbols and graffiti art. Now I know where to get the right paint!

Jack Harper
04-03-2009, 4:18 PM
I have used this paint for years, and yes it is great paint. I have no problem lasering through it on glass. I have not tried any other substrate.