PDA

View Full Version : Hi! Newbie questions...

Rob Lloyd
04-02-2009, 9:15 PM
Hi Everyone. After looking at various other places, this seems like a fantastic group of people.

On Monday I had never turned a single thing in my life. A couple years ago I bought the Zyliss turning system to work with my Zyliss clamp system. I've been to scared to put my high speed bosch drill in there and try turning anything.

On Tuesday I bought a used Jet 1014VS with extension and stand. That night I was looking for scraps to play with. Hickory - not so good! Found a pine closet rod to test - better but still not good. Found a 1.5" thick piece of maple - cut it on the band saw to something long and straight. I turned what I think will be a candle stick. Just playing around with the new tools. Not sure if I have the best technique but I fell into the vortex!

I have a couple questions:
Do I need a chuck? I see the SN3 and others being recommended. I don't want to spend too much on one if I don't need to. I also don't want to buy junk.
I have a vacuum press for doing veneer work, so that intriques me more - less money and more possibilities.
Is that a good idea for a beginner? If so, will it work on my 1014? I wasn't able to find to much on that model with vacuum using a search. What do I need?

I have a basic set of tools - 3 gouges - 1/2" wide and smaller. parting tool and a skew. What else do I need?

Sharpening? I do not have a bench grinder or a Tormek. I've been thinking of getting a Tormek but at $1000 after the needed accessories are added in, it will have to wait a while. Can I get by with a HF bench grinder for now?

I've looked at almost everyones albums and can't wait to try some bowls, platters, ornaments etc.
Is there a good place to start with projects?

After this, I plan on watching Bob Hamilton's videos.

Rob

Steve Schlumpf
04-02-2009, 9:23 PM
Rob - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!

Lots of good questions.... but most of it really depends on what it is you want to turn. I'll let the rest of the crew here answer the bulk of your questions as I only type with 2 fingers and it takes forever! LOL

Again - Welcome!

RL Johnson
04-02-2009, 9:28 PM
I would recommend you buy the Grizzly clone of the Vicmarc chuck and as for grinders, you will find the grinding stone is much more important than the grinder it is on. That said you will need a grinder that is balanced and is smooth running.
You don't say if your gouges are bowl gouges or spindle gouges but if you are going to turn spindles, a large spindle roughing gouge is very nice. Most people here have been recommending the 1/2" bowl gouge, although I like my 3/8" alot. I would suggest that you buy some good videos. Alan Lacer's "Getting Started Right" is very good beginners video and answers many of your questions. You might also look at Robert Rosand's website, there are some excellent project articles. Best of luck.

Rob Lloyd
04-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I didn't say if they were bowl or spindle gauges because I didn't know there was a difference! :confused:

Thanks for the suggestions.

So the Grizzly clone would be better than a vacuum clamp? Or is the vacuum clamp more for doing bowls and other flater stuff. And I would still need the other one?

I'll try to check out those videos. YouTube has some great stuff on it. It's amazing what you can learn online these days!

Steve Schlumpf
04-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Rob - probably the best thing I can recommend is for you to get with your local turning club. Depending where you are located - you may have a number of them to choose from. The folks in these clubs go out of their way to assist the beginning turners. The differences between spindle and bowl gouges is just a small part of turning. Having someone not only point out the differences but then show you how to use them correctly will go a long way to helping you navigate the vortex!

Hopefully we'll get some additional comments real soon!

Don Carter
04-03-2009, 1:52 AM
Hi Rob:
Welcome to the Creek. You will find a wealth of knowledge and information here. You have received some good advice already. I would do a lot of research and if you can associate with an experienced turner or a club, it will become clearer faster. I would not rush out and buy lots of stuff until you get a little more experience and find out what you really need. Sounds like wood might be the first.;) I started turning pieces of 2x4 until I could control the tools.
When you need more info, please post the questions, many experienced turners here will help. Good luck!

Gordon Seto
04-03-2009, 3:21 AM
Ditto what Steve & Don said. Don't rush into buying physical tools. Join the local chapter http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp first. That is the best tools you can get.
Your local club most likely would have book & DVD library for members to borrow. They may have some hands-on classes or mentoring programs.

I would like to caution you on a small number of YouTube videos. They are actually "what not to do" disguised as "how to". It may not be easy to distinguish the good and the bad experts. It would be difficult to unlearn a bad technique.

These have some good videos from Nick Cook:
http://www.youtube.com/user/JETTOOLSUSA

Jeff Luedloff
04-03-2009, 6:08 AM
Rob, Welcome to the turning world.

1st) Safety: Just because your not bleeding don't mean your turning safe.
http://www.4woodturning.com/safe.html (http://www.4woodturning.com/safe.html)

2nd) Tools: sharping (woodcraft has a good grinder 8" one wheel is a 60 or 80 grit and the other is a 120 white wheel. 2 speeds, slow for turning tools so they don't get to hot. I would stay way form HF personally. Oneway Wolverine grinding jig, nice set up for grinding your bevels. together maybe about $250) knowing your bevels.(I would start with something simple like spindles. find how each tools makes smooth cuts by riding your bevels)

3rd) Chucks: Oneway stronghold, Teknatool super nova are the chucks I use

4th) join a local woodtruning club you will excel faster and learn techniques form other turners.

hope this helps you out and have fun, remember to post your pics here

Kyle Iwamoto
04-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Welcome. I only have the Jet mini also. You can easily turn a 9 inch bowl. I picked up a Nova G3 chuck. It was recently on "sale" on e-bay for 120 bucks free shipping. May still be. Check Thompson lathe tools site, he sells good tools (I don't own any yet) but he has the differences between bowl and spindle gouges. You cannot do bowls unless you have a bowl gouge. Bill Grumbine also has a good video, as well as Alan Lacer's skew series.
Don't rush into buying new tools. I have several 70 buck chisels that I don't use. Spindlemaster is one of them. Stick to the basics, spindle roughing, skew and parting. Bowl gouge is where you should put your money.
Tormek is pricey, but you do need some form of sharpening.
It won't stop. There's always something to buy. As I said, I dont have a Thompson chisel YET.

Dennis Peacock
04-03-2009, 2:54 PM
Hello Rob and welcome to The Creek..!!! Oh...and the vortex too. :D

Rob Lloyd
04-03-2009, 3:04 PM
Thanks everyone.

Kyle - I found the Nova G3 on ebay. Not a bad deal - I might take the plunge on that.

I will check out the safety videos - I don't mind a little blood now and then, but nothing more than a band-aid can fix!

I found the local turning club which I will contact shortly.

Jeff Luedloff
04-04-2009, 7:54 AM
woodcraft combo grinding system. just in case you didn't get one yet.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20355 (http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=148382&FamilyID=20355)

Wally Dickerman
04-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Rob, welcome to woodturning.

One of your questions was, do I need a chuck..You do NOT need a chuck to turn bowls. You will eventually invest in a chuck but that is well down on the list of things that you do need. Before about 1990 the 4-jaw chuck used by most turners today didn't even exist, and we turned out a lot of bowls without them. The faceplate that probably came with your lathe is the basic way to fasten a bowl blank to the lathe. I've been teaching woodturning for a long time and in my beginning classes we always use faceplates and glue blocks.

The first thing on your list should be a tool grinder. An absolute must. I recommed the grinder that Woodcraft sells for under $100. It's slow speed, and has 8 inch wheels that are aluminum oxide (best for the high speed steel that is used in turning tools)

I suggest that you send for a Craft Supplies catalog. One of the many suppliers of turning supplies...www.woodturnerscatalog.com They have a list of recommended tools.

Do yourself a real favor and enroll in a beginners turning class if you can. You'll learn the correct way to do a lot of things.

I suggest that you buy the book Turning Wood by Richard Raffan. Lots of good information for a beginner.

Good luck and have fun.

Wally

Rob Lloyd
04-04-2009, 9:50 PM
Thanks for the link for the grinder system. I think I'm going with the Woodcraft grinder and the Nova Sharpening Center. About the same price but more uses with the sliding table.

I did order the G3 chuck and have a lesson next week with a local guy recommended by the CT Woodturners Group.

A couple more tools and some decent wood and I'll be all set!
First project is should be simple lathe wise - the Woodline wooden gear clock. It's my 10th anniversary this year and I'd like to have that done as her present.

I'll check out those books too.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!