PDA

View Full Version : A question for all you Craigslist users

Mark Bolton
04-02-2009, 7:55 PM
I see a lot of info here on SC in regards to CL so I thought you all could confim or quell my suspisions.

I listed a few items on CL yesterday. Within hours I got a response on one of the items asking if it was still for sale as well as the final price and condition. Condition was clearly explained in the ad, but...

I replied last night with the requested information with regards to condition and stated my logic behind the price and that I felt it was fair.

Today I receive a reply that I just cant explain without posting it....

Good Morning Am interested in the immediate purchase of the item you have for sale on Craigslist
I will be making the immediate payment for the Item via USA Certified Cashier's Check which will be easily cash able at any Bank In the state or Cashing Point Outlet
i will like to let you know that you do not need to worry about shipping of the item because i have contacted a private shipping company that will be coming to your house for the pickup of the item down to the last destination where it is needed.
BUT The amount on the check will includes the amount for the sales of your item and the funds for the shipping charges,custom and excise duties,my client shipper commission and insurance of the item okay.
So all you need to do as soon as you receive the check get it cashed immediately at your bank or any cashing point outlet and deduct the price for the sales of your item and the left over transfer to the shipping company via Western Union Money transfer so that they can come for the pick up of the item down to where it is needed

So if you are OK with this,kindly send me the below information of yours to mail out the check asap

NAME
ADDRESS
CITY
STATE
ZIP CODE
COUNTRY
TEL #
FINAL PRICE

With the above information the payment will be issued out to your address once it is provided...
SO I WILL BE AWAITING YOUR INFORMATION TO MAIL OUT THE CHECK ASAP
Regards
God Bless

This reply struck me as suspicious overall but the typos and money thing for certain. Why would I need to western union the "left over money" to the shipper? Seemed really odd but thought I would get all of your input.

Thoughts?
Mark

Walt Nicholson
04-02-2009, 8:00 PM
That is one of the most common scams right now. The cashier's check will bounce long after your item is gone and you have sent the other funds. You can string them along for a while just to have some fun or otherwise, don't touch it with a ten foot pole! :D

Frank Trinkle
04-02-2009, 8:11 PM
SCAM! You will ALWAYS get those when you list on CL.

It's disheartening to see an email and think your item is sold, only to see the I will send a money order / cashier's check... and "my shipper will be picking the item up" BS.

Delete and don't respond to those... EVER!

Eric Roberge
04-02-2009, 8:13 PM
Mark,
CL goes to great lengths to post all over the site to be aware of scams. You will receive these inquires with every "for sale" post. Be aware and be smart. Only deal locally and in cash.
CL is a great tool when used properly.

Take care!

Mark Bolton
04-02-2009, 8:55 PM
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I knew this one was a scam but just wanted to make sure.

Mark

Curt Harms
04-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Go here (http://www.hasbro.com/games/kid-games/monopoly/default.cfm?page=strategyguide/gametools) , print up some "money". If you can get a shipping address, cash their cashiers check in the shredder and offer to mail "cash" to them. I got a "cashier's check" in the mail once. The Post Office is so overwhelmed they didn't even care. It was "drawn" on Citizen's bank so I went to the local branch. They were more interested. They took it, wrote void all over it and kept it--it was a very close copy of their cashier's check. I spoke to a local police department about it. The guy on duty knew a mountie (scam's address was in Canada) so they sent something just to see what would happen. Perps send a kid to get the mail so if he is stopped he knows nothing.

Leo Voisine
04-03-2009, 7:39 PM
I have posted stuff for sale on Craigslist before.

I got that same thing one time - not everytime.

Just ignore it.

If you try to do business with - you WILL lose.

George Milos
04-04-2009, 3:21 AM
this happens commonly on any site where you would normally list something for sale. i remember one time when i posted on autotrader and the only responses i was getting were solicitations from a 3rd party that offered to sell my car for a fee.