PDA

View Full Version : Novice needs advice

Scott Amerson
04-02-2009, 7:01 PM
Hi to all

In February I bought the Jet 1220vs. I've been trying to turn pens. I have not been able to remove the chatter from my pen mandrels. I have spent several hours replacing parts and troubleshooting with jet tech support. They have been great. I have contacted the company where I bought the lathe and we have decided to replace it with a new one. Here is the problem. They do not have the 1220vs in stock. They don't expect them in for a couple of months. They suggest I get a General model 25-200m1 instead with me adding 50 dollars difference. I don't know much about any lathe. I bought the 1220vs because all of the praise received here. I don't mind waiting until the jet comes in. Do you guys have any opinion on this matter.

Thanks Scott

Bob Haverstock
04-02-2009, 7:18 PM
Sott,

I have never turned a pin, so I'm no help there.

I would have to put a piece of wood between centers and see If I could turn it with success. This way there would be no mandrel to perhaps cause you grief.

I have a JWL1220 and have had no issues with it. It is possible that you have bearing / spindle issues, Can you get a turning buddy to try it?

Bob

Ryan Baker
04-02-2009, 7:25 PM
I sure wouldn't trade a 1220VS for a general.

It should be easy enough to determine if the problem is with the lathe or the pen mandrels. Does the lathe have any runout or "chatter" problems without the mandrel? Put a drive center in it and check it. I've seen some pretty crappy pen mandrels before. If there IS something wrong with the lathe (it does happen on occasion), Jet will have to fix it for you undre warranty, so there shouldn't be any issue anyway with your local company waiting for stock. I doubt the problem is in the lathe anyway.

Bob Haverstock
04-02-2009, 7:25 PM
Scott,

There were several jet clips on Youtube a year ago. The JWL1220 was the lathe being used. Viewing them might be of benefit to you as might it help you with techique. Jut a thought.

Bob

Scott Amerson
04-02-2009, 7:39 PM
I guess a little history of the problem is needed.
On the first day I brought it home the switch stuck in the on position(replaced switch).

First mandre was the one that threaded over the 1inch threads.
chatter.

Put live center in tail stock. spur in head. 1/8 inch off side to side.
Jet suggested replacing the tail stock casting.
after replacement I had to break bolts holding head stock and move around to get the point to point alignment.

Still chatter. I replaced the live center with higher quality one.

Bought new mandrel this time #2 morse taper one.

Still chatter.

Took the lathe to a tool fair where I bought it. Several people that turn for a living along with a representative from jet fiddled with lathe for a while. They got a new mandrel from their shelf. I had more chatter than the one I brought with me.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-02-2009, 7:39 PM
No offense, but are you cutting correctly? Tool rest as close to the work as possible? What chisels are you using? I have NOT had good luck with the micro tools. Get a good starter set of normal sized tools if you have a micro set. Is all of your parts tightened down tight? Using the tailstock, but with minimal pressure? Too much tailstock pressure can cause the mandrel to flex. If youre using a mandrel that has setscrews that hold the 1/4" mandrel, do not bottom out the rod in the MT adapter. When the mandrel heats up it expands, give it some place to expand into. (think router bit, don't bottom them out too)
You did mention you're a novice. No shame in admitting that. We were all newbies at some point. I'm still a novice......
I would have a hard time believeing the lathe could be the source of chatter. It should make funny noises if any parts are loose. I also would keep the Jet. They make (usually) good stuff. If you are intent on getting the lathe replaced, get the 1642!

Scott Amerson
04-02-2009, 7:46 PM
Don't have to cut to feel chatter. Without blank on the mandrel holding any metal with slight pressure along bottom of manderl you can feel the run out as you bring the metal into contact with the mandrel rod. You can feel it from one end to the other. I have replaced the rod a couple of times. I thought I was puting too much pressure with the tail stock also at first. Now I just seat the tail stock to allow the center to turn.

Scott Amerson
04-02-2009, 7:49 PM
It does have a lot of vibration too. you can pry up slightly on one of the legs and the vibration changes pitch.

Gordon Seto
04-02-2009, 8:03 PM
after replacement I had to break bolts holding head stock and move around to get the point to point alignment.

Both centers should be almost dead on. When you use a pens mandrel that is fixed at one end, the mis-alignment is causing you the trouble. Jet has better quality than 1/8". If your tail stock has been replaced, the problem may have to do with the head stock end. Someone may have dropped the lathe in shipment.
Do you have any run out at the spindle now (bent spindle)?
Even if both centers alignment point to point, you still need both headstock axis and tail stock axis in a straight line.

Jet has very good service, you shouldn't have problem getting your lathe replaced.

Or you may want to bring the lathe to the store and ask them to show you how to turn a pen.

Ryan Baker
04-02-2009, 8:15 PM
I guess a little history of the problem is needed.
On the first day I brought it home the switch stuck in the on position(replaced switch).

First mandre was the one that threaded over the 1inch threads.
chatter.

Still chatter. I replaced the live center with higher quality one.

Bought new mandrel this time #2 morse taper one.

Still chatter.

Took the lathe to a tool fair where I bought it. Several people that turn for a living along with a representative from jet fiddled with lathe for a while. They got a new mandrel from their shelf. I had more chatter than the one I brought with me.

Wow. OK, given this information, it sounds like your particular lathe has some serious issues. I wonder if it got damaged along the way somewhere. It sounds like it is the headstock that is messed up.

Still, it is Jet's responsibility to get you a satisfactory replacement. Stay after them until you have a satisfactory repair or a full replacement. It's a good lathe, but you were just lucky enough to get a bad one.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-02-2009, 8:17 PM
Ah, sorry for my post. You must have been writing your more info post at the same time.
Take the Jet to your authorized service location...... They should warranty your problem.

Curt Fuller
04-02-2009, 10:30 PM
It does have a lot of vibration too. you can pry up slightly on one of the legs and the vibration changes pitch.

This might be a long shot, but when I read this comment I had to wonder. Do you have your lathe bolted down to a surface that might not be flat? And could it be tweaking the ways just enough to mess up the alignment with the tailstock?

Philip Morris
04-02-2009, 10:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing as Curt. I have a 1220VS. Initially I just had it sitting on a wooden workbench and experienced some of the vibration you described. Upon inspection, the center to center points were off 1/16" to 1/8" side to side (if vertical alignment is off, you have a bigger problem). Jet Tech Suuport recommended that I bolt it to the bench and shim the feet as needed to get the points to line up. Did that and it is smoother running.

Bernie Weishapl
04-03-2009, 9:36 AM
Ditto Phillip. Did the same with my 1220. After bolting it down and shimming points line up perfectly and no viberation.

robert hainstock
04-03-2009, 10:32 AM
It is so easy to get one of these 1220VS mounted on a bench with a little yaw built in. as you have already been advised, check the point to point alignment , Headstock, tailstock. It may be as simple as some shimming. Good luck. I love my 1220VS even with its stuck in the on, switch. one of the vendors used to sell a double ended #2 MT mandrel which is perfect for keeping the HS/TS ligned up while mounting. Good luck. :)
Bob

Leo Van Der Loo
04-03-2009, 2:13 PM
Hi Scott, I would take the General over the Jet, I turned on one, real nice and heavy little lathe, some of the readers here might confuse the 25-200m1 with the little GI maxi, but the General 25.200m1 is quite a bit better lathe than the Maxi, there's a few turners on the Canadian woodworkers forum that have that new lathe and are very pleased with it.
Here's a link that shows and gives some info on this lathe.
I'm sure you wont be disappointed if you go for the General lathe.

http://www.redmond-machinery.com/general%2025-200.htm

Joe Pfeifer
04-03-2009, 2:38 PM
The live center that comes with the Jet is not 60 degrees, which is what is required with most pen mandrels. I'll venture a guess and say that the "chatter" is from the end of the mandrel walking around the point of the live center. Try live center that specifies 60 degrees and see if that alleviates the problem.

Scott Amerson
04-03-2009, 4:44 PM
Thanks for all of your help. I do not have it bolted down. I will try that next. I have decided to stick with the Jet instead of the general. Will have to use what I have for about a month until the new one arrives. Your help and the great customer service that I received from jet helped with my decision. I like the idea of using the double ended mt 2 to align the head and tail.

Thanks to all.

Scott Amerson
04-03-2009, 5:07 PM
I too noticed soon after I bought the lathe that the factory supplied live center did not seat properly in the mandrel. It was replaced with a 60 degree heavy duty one from penn state.

john l graham
04-03-2009, 5:21 PM
The General is a very good lathe. VS will go down to 275 rpm on mine. I have not had any issues with this product. PM me if you have any questions.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=90149