PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat!

Chris Rae
04-02-2009, 6:58 PM
I scored on a bunch of wood today. :D They are changing the landscaping in the strip mall where I work and they cut down some trees. My co-workers called me and some friends and I drove down there and scored some magnolia and cherry. It's mostly magnolia and the cherry trees weren't very large but what we got filled the back of the pickup level full and there are some really nice big pieces. The biggest ones are about 16" in dia. There are some nice crotch pieces too. Anyway, I'm a happy camper.:)
Has anyone turned magnolia? I'm pretty much of a noob and was wondering how it turns.
Chris

Ryan Baker
04-02-2009, 7:28 PM
I've turned a little magnolia. It turned pretty well as I recall. Kinda soft.

Now get to work with the Anchorseal before those logs start to crack.

Wish I had a pile like that in the back yard.

Dennis Ford
04-02-2009, 7:36 PM
Magnolia turns great! Like Ryan said, it is fairly soft (especially when green). It can be somewhat bland in color but that is the only negative I can think of. The bark tends to stay on natural edge pieces better than most other woods.

charlie knighton
04-02-2009, 9:01 PM
magnolia turns ok, its heavier than maple, distinct grain pattern

Yipes Stripes

Steve Schlumpf
04-02-2009, 9:14 PM
Chris - congrats on all the wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Congrats on the haul Chris. Make sure you get the ends anchorsealed before they crack. Both woods turn really nice.

Dennis Peacock
04-03-2009, 2:48 PM
Magnolia turns very nicely.!!!! I really like turning that wood. Congrats on the wood haul..!!!!