PDA

View Full Version : Corsair plane?

Rob Littleton
07-25-2004, 7:56 PM
Went to a "junk" store today and he had a bunch of planes on one shelf, but in the display cabinet was a small plane with the Yellow label and the word Corsair in it.

Is this anything?

I have NO idea of these things. Im thinking if its worth millions, Ill buy it and sell it to one of you guys :-)

Thanks for your input

Joseph N. Myers
07-25-2004, 8:43 PM
Rob,

From the internet:

Corsair, the French scheduled public charter airline is owned and operated by New Frontiers, the leading French tour operator. Corsair utilizes Boeing 747 and 737 aircraft on its medium and long-haul route network throughout Europe, Africa and to Papeete and Nouméa in the South Pacific.

Never flew them and would not care to. Maybe someone that did got the plane and is trying to sell it (for whatever reason).

Regards, Joe

James Carmichael
07-25-2004, 9:44 PM
Went to a "junk" store today and he had a bunch of planes on one shelf, but in the display cabinet was a small plane with the Yellow label and the word Corsair in it.

Is this anything?

I have NO idea of these things. Im thinking if its worth millions, Ill buy it and sell it to one of you guys :-)

Thanks for your input

The only Corsair planes I'm aware of are the Vought F4U and A7. Now an original copy of either of those would be worth millions:-)

Ralph Barhorst
07-25-2004, 9:48 PM
It was probably and F4 Corsair fighter plane used in WWII by the marines. Pappy Boyington was one of the famous flyers of this plane.

If you want to know more about it search Google with "Corsair WWII".

Harry Pye
07-26-2004, 3:11 PM
Rob,

I'm assuming you mean a plane for planing wood. I have a Corsair plane. It is a cheap imitation of a Stanley #4 though about 1/4" longer. Mine is in new condition and the casting does not seem to have as good a finish as a Stanley. The knob and tote are stained to look like Rosewood. Rather than jappaning, the inside of the body is painted gray though the frog is black. Unlike a Stanley the chipbreaker is chrome plated. The only really junky part is the lateral adjuster. It is formed sheet metal and probably thinner than it should be.

It was made by the Great Neck Saw Mfrs. Inc, Mineola N. Y.

It is probably worth about $10-$15. Mine is in perfect condition with the original box and wax paper it was wrapped in and I wouldn't pay much more than that for it. Probably is a half decent 'user' plane.

Hope this helps,

Harry

Rob Littleton
07-26-2004, 3:52 PM
I actually meant a plane as in Neander planes. The kind you shave wood with.

Thats funny but I didnt even think at the time the was an aeroplane called a corsair.

Anyways, so this wood plane is sitting in the display cabinet because it looks good there and not because its worth money obviously.......

No worries and thanks for the replies.