PDA

View Full Version : Figured Maple and Pyrography....

Wally Dickerman
04-02-2009, 6:34 PM
Besides making a lot of smoke, pyrography can be fun....9 inches in dia.

Wally

Clarence Sears
04-02-2009, 6:39 PM
Beautiful piece, Wally.

Jeff Nicol
04-02-2009, 6:40 PM
Wally, Very nice! I was looking at a woodburning system a week or so ago, just need to sell a few turnings so get the one I want.

Great vessel and nice burnings!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
04-02-2009, 6:51 PM
Wally - very nice hollow form! Beautiful wood - great form! I haven't tried woodburning yet and have to ask how in the world you managed to keep such straight lines? Also - I didn't see any blurring of the edges of the star - what's your secret?

Wally Dickerman
04-02-2009, 7:01 PM
Thanks Steve....I draw outlines with a pencil then freehand the burned lines, including the edges of the star. Fortunately, for an old guy I have a steady hand.

Wally

Chris Rae
04-02-2009, 7:03 PM
Now that is cool! I like it alot! Beautiful wood, beautiful form and great pyrography.
Chris

David Walser
04-02-2009, 7:11 PM
Wally,

That's a very nice hollow form. The form and wood work well together.

I'm not sure how I feel about the star that you burned onto the piece. On the one hand, I like it a lot. But then, I spent enough time in Texas that I'm really quite partial to stars. (Just about anything can be enhanced by adding a lone star!) On the other hand, the hollow form has a simple, elegant, refined shape. I wonder if the star distracts the eye from the pleasing line of the piece's curve? The piece might have been even more elegant with just the simple "necklace" you burned around the throat of the form. I'd like to see it with and without. (You wouldn't mind turning another, would you?)

Hope you don't mind my wondering out loud about the star. It's a beautiful piece, one I'd be proud to own, as it is.

curtis rosche
04-02-2009, 8:19 PM
that peice is so cool. great work

Steve Frederick
04-02-2009, 8:40 PM
Very cool! Or should I say HOT!
You guys with talent AND patience!:D:D

Wally Dickerman
04-02-2009, 9:14 PM
Wally,

That's a very nice hollow form. The form and wood work well together.

I'm not sure how I feel about the star that you burned onto the piece. On the one hand, I like it a lot. But then, I spent enough time in Texas that I'm really quite partial to stars. (Just about anything can be enhanced by adding a lone star!) On the other hand, the hollow form has a simple, elegant, refined shape. I wonder if the star distracts the eye from the pleasing line of the piece's curve? The piece might have been even more elegant with just the simple "necklace" you burned around the throat of the form. I'd like to see it with and without. (You wouldn't mind turning another, would you?)

Hope you don't mind my wondering out loud about the star. It's a beautiful piece, one I'd be proud to own, as it is.

I won't disagree with you on your take on the star. I often like to accentuate the rim area of a vessel as I've done with the star. There are those who dislike any adornment on a nice piece of wood, and I don't disagree with that either. It's a matter of personal taste.

The pyrography takes up less than 10% of the piece (you only see one side of a piece in a pic).

I like it.

Wally

Allen Neighbors
04-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Talent and Patience... Steve hit the nail on the head.
Beautiful is beautiful, and there just isn't much you can add to that. :)

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Wally that is a beautiful piece. I like the star. Well done.

George Guadiane
04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Well Done!!!

Dennis Peacock
04-03-2009, 2:51 PM
Nicely done and welcome back Wally.!!!! :D

Wally Dickerman
04-03-2009, 5:33 PM
Thanks for all of your kind comments folks.

Wally

Jarrod McGehee
04-04-2009, 10:20 PM
That's really nice. the figure on that burl is aweosme