PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Instructional

Chris Jenkins
04-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I am quite interested in trying out some segmented turning. I have rented the "The Art of Segmented Turning" by Malcolm Tibbetts from the local library and it is a great read, but I am more of a visual learner. I have been unable to find any Segmented Turning DVD's through the local library or through my local Rockler. I see Malcolm Tibbetts has 2 DVDs for sale now, but they are a bit steap for me (as I am unemployeed now). Does anyone know where I can rent or loan out these DVDs or ones like it?

Thanks,
Chris

Steve Schlumpf
04-02-2009, 1:32 PM
Chris - I would think that your local turning club would be a good source for all flavors of turning videos.

Ryan Baker
04-02-2009, 7:55 PM
Try this:
http://smartflix.com/store/category/28/Turning

I didn't see Malcolm's stuff in there, but there are a couple other segmented videos along with a lot of other good stuff.

Dick Sowa
04-02-2009, 9:01 PM
Chris...my wife is librarian, and is responsible for buying books for the various branches around here. One thing I learned from her was that if there is a demand for a particular book or DVD, the library will probably buy some copies. Check with your local branch, and find out how to do an inter-library loan and ask about checking for Malcolm's DVD's through that route. I bet they can find a copy and get it to you.

Chris Jenkins
04-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I haven't looked into the local turning club because the one I know if is a good 50 miles one way...

I will look into the the library about the loan policy. I acquired the Tibbetts' book through the loan in the first place. Our library isn't that great, but the neighboring town has lots of WWing books and a pretty good size network to some larger surrounding cities

Chris