PDA

View Full Version : King Size Head Board

Dick Parr
07-25-2004, 4:25 PM
Here are some pictures of the King Size Head Board that I just got done with for the wife and me. A month ago we got the bigger bed but decided that I would make the head board with some of the wood that was lying around. A couple of years ago this would have only taken a weekend to make, but now it takes a month. Oh well, at least I still can do a little in the shop for about an hour a day. The wife didn’t realize just how much she liked to help woodworking. :D :mad: :p

The head board is 56” high x 80” wide and is made of cherry, walnut and in the middle is some canary wood I got from a nice friend in Ohio (thanks Joe). :D I used a lot of biscuits, some pocket hole screws and glue to put this together. Being this wide of a project, all the end grain to end grain joining in the middle was a challenge. The tricky part was after joining the 3 sections in the middle and then sizing as one piece was to edge join the 2 pieces of cherry top and bottom because it was to flimsy to run over the jointer. That systematic blade I have on the saw gave the edges a jointer finish and it looks great after edge gluing.

Finished it with 7 coats of hand rub poly using 600 grit paper in between coats and then finished with 3 coats of wax. Finally got to try out those buffing pads for my PC 333 and it sure made it easier. :D

Pic 1 is the west end of the shop with the wood ready to plan
2 is before finish
3 letting it off gas a final 24 hours before installing on the bed
4 is before she put the pillows in the way :D
5 complete

Thanks for looking.

John Miliunas
07-25-2004, 5:17 PM
Great work, Dick! Me thinks you should rest easy, now! :D I'll admit, I was a bit uneasy when you started naming off the mish-mash of woods, but they really, REALLY work nice together! :) And, if it makes 'ya feel any better, it would probably take me that long to do it, too! :rolleyes: Well done, Dick! :cool:

Tyler Howell
07-25-2004, 9:59 PM
Wow DicK That is Awesome.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Looks good to me! :D

Dick Parr
07-26-2004, 7:45 AM
Thanks for the nice comments guys. :)

Jim Becker
07-26-2004, 9:45 AM
Long live the King! (and the Queen...)

Nice work, Dick.

Ed Falis
07-26-2004, 2:19 PM
Very nice looking, Dick. Gave me some ideas, too.

Thanks,

- Ed

Dick Parr
07-27-2004, 8:50 AM
Thanks Jim and I'm glad I could give you some idea's there Ed. This was fun and the wife really loves it.