PDA

View Full Version : q: verticle plywood storage on long edge

Brad Ridgway
04-02-2009, 7:32 AM
Most of the verticle recommendations ive seen show the 4x8 accomidated narow side down. My ceiling is slightly under 8' and the garage door rail would make it impossible anyway...

I was thinking of putting on the long edge with the 41" triton racks for lumber above it. I was thinking i could possibly put a slight taper on 2x4s bolt to the wall to insure they were only slanted a couple of degrees to avoid warpage?

Is this as ok an idea as the verticle? Should i use some caul meacanims to pull them into the wall to insure no warp in either direction?

thx
-brad

Russ Boyd
04-02-2009, 8:09 AM
That's exactly how I store my ply. Works great for me. Be sure you keep all sheets "kicked up tight" to each other.

Lee Schierer
04-02-2009, 11:38 AM
If it is an outside wall, make sure you consider allowing air to circulate between the wall and the plywood. Stacking plywood against a damp, hot or cold wall will lead to problems.

David Giles
04-02-2009, 2:42 PM
I slid 8ft sheet between the garage rail and wall for several years. Now I store them on the long edge near the garage entrance. An adjustable strap holds them vertical.

As others have mentioned, protect the sheets from water and humidity changes. Insulate the walls and install a vapor barrier if it's not too late. The walls see lots of air infiltration and sudden temperature changes. Both can make the plywood move.

Protect the plywood from concrete floor moisture as well. I lined the wall perimeter with an 18" projection of 3/4" insulation board and a 1/4" hardboard cover. It keeps water from diffusing into the edges and I can lean wood against the wall without worry. Plywood slides easily on the slick hardboard surface. This is a feature, not a bug.

Scott Wigginton
04-02-2009, 3:39 PM
Checkout this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=541422#poststop) with pics of exactly what you're referring to.

Prashun Patel
04-02-2009, 3:49 PM
I flip mine every couple weeks to keep the weight distribution even.

Brad Ridgway
04-02-2009, 7:23 PM
Jeff you are the man!!!!!!

Brad Ridgway
04-06-2009, 8:30 AM
Jeff - wow that was a lot of fun... And i have some floor space again... thank you all

Curt Harms
04-06-2009, 8:49 AM
in my garage with no ill effects. I just clamped all 4 corners and 1 clamp in the center of the 8' edge. Put 'em up on stickers to keep 'em off the floor and the 3/4" was perfect. I had 1 sheet of 3/8" birch in the middle that is bowed some but it's 3 ply so I suspect that has something to do with it.

Curt

Scott Wigginton
04-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Jeff - wow that was a lot of fun... And i have some floor space again... thank you all

Don't think you can post that and no pics and get away with it!