PDA

View Full Version : Gloat: Another SawStop Professional Cabinet Saw - w/photos

Frank Trinkle
04-01-2009, 9:36 PM
My PCS was delivered today and it's now somewhat assembled, but I'm waiting on my Incra TS-LS Fence/Router system to be delivered to complete.

I have a number of comments about the saw, mostly very positive, and will publish in the next few posts with commentary.

First... Happy Day! Here she comes!:D

SawStop uses FedEx (LTL) for delivery, and they ALWAYS have a lift gate service. The guy rolled it on a pallet lifter all the way into my garage. GREAT SERVICE!

Frank Trinkle
04-01-2009, 9:43 PM
As others... Paul and Rob... have also done, I did not use the instruction method of flipping the base over. The instructions call for using the styrofoam packing next to the pallet and rolling it onto that. Then you are supposed to lift it upright, install the rails, then tilt it over to install the mobile base unit. This needs to be looked at by SawStop before the production models come out.

A much more user friendly method is to use a furniture mover to roll it onto... then install the mobile base while it is still on its side. Once installed, you can lift it upright, and it's already mobile!

I had one glitch during the assembly of the mobile base. One of the Button Head Socket Screws would not properly thread into the wheel axle. (see picture). I will have to contact SawStop for either a replacement screw, or a screw AND the axle... depending on which is defective.

I should also note that I am storing the 52" system rails. Right Extension Table, and the Full Extension Table for now, because I will be installing an Incra TS-LS Positioner System with a Right Side Router Table and the full Joiner System. (Due anytime).

Frank Trinkle
04-01-2009, 9:51 PM
The fit and finish is awesome! The instructions are very very clear and the packs of assembly items are clearly marked, numbered, color coded, and vacuum packed. Can't make a mistake unless you're really really dumb!

Paralleling the extension table is not the easiest thing. Loosen/tighten... loosen/tighten...check... loosen/tighten. But... finally got it right! The single dust collector shown is at the bottom of the cabinet, and will be added to this summer in the production units by an upper DC as well.

The Motor housing cover is a great design and well thought out for ease of motion and function. Storage of the wrenches, riving knife and blade guard, as well as the miter gauge is well-placed. The power control unit is in the perfect location and easy to install.

One more thing.. and a GLOAT! I received, unpacked, rolled the unit, installed the mobile base, and uprighted it WITHOUT any help!! All by my lonesome! It CAN be done!:eek:

Frank Trinkle
04-01-2009, 9:53 PM
Finally... the placement of all the innards is functional and clean. The DC hose does not interfere with the motor as the blade system is raised and lowered, and the innards are easily accessable through the motor cover, and two other panels.

Can't wait for my Incra stuff so I can really show off the saw in its final configuration!

ONE MORE THING... this is a 3HP, 220V 1 Phase system. While reading the Owner's Manual, there is a reference to a 1.75 HP, 115V (1 3/4) wiring diagram which may indicate that there will be a less expensive version of THIS saw when the production models are release this summer. Probably the same motor as the current Contractor Saw.

Cheers

Eric Roberge
04-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Ok frank... First off I don't like you:D...JK

Nice machine!... ahhhhh someday I will bask in my own gloat of a professional cabinet saw.

Did the FedEx guy think you were nuts taking pictures of him unloading the saw???? Just asking, cause I would do it too, but my wife would make fun of me:(

Paul Ryan
04-01-2009, 10:01 PM
As others... Paul and Rob... have also done, I did not use the instruction method of flipping the base over. The instructions call for using the styrofoam packing next to the pallet and rolling it onto that. Then you are supposed to lift it upright, install the rails, then tilt it over to install the mobile base unit. This needs to be looked at by SawStop before the production models come out.

A much more user friendly method is to use a furniture mover to roll it onto... then install the mobile base while it is still on its side. Once installed, you can lift it upright, and it's already mobile!

I had one glitch during the assembly of the mobile base. One of the Button Head Socket Screws would not properly thread into the wheel axle. (see picture). I will have to contact SawStop for either a replacement screw, or a screw AND the axle... depending on which is defective.

Nice looking saw Frank, looks familar!

I had no problem rolling on to the styrofoam. And I think the reason they have you put the saw on the rails when putting on the base. Is the fact that some may order the base at a latter date and then that is how they would put the base on.

I did have problems with both axels too. Just the end of the axel with the shoulder. The threads in the axels weren't right. I ended up tapping both axels, and running a die over the bolts. It is an 8x1.25 tap and die if anyone cares.
You are going to love the saw.

If you have problems leveling the throat plate PM me for help.

Frank Trinkle
04-01-2009, 10:08 PM
One little thing Tony.. When I was attaching the DC flange to the cabinet, the flange was basically 180 deg away from a nice fit. If I hadn't loosened the clamp and rotated the flange, the twist would have been extreme to line up the holes. Easy fix, but was surprised by that one.

Victor Stearns
04-02-2009, 2:07 PM
Frank,
Congrats on the new Saw! Where did you purchase it from? This is the first place that I have heard of another SS model. Did not find anything on the SS-website, so I am on the hunt for information.
Thanks
Victor

Frank Trinkle
04-02-2009, 2:12 PM
Victor...

It is not available to the general public yet. These are field tests of the pre-production model. No more field test units are available, but you'll be hearing a LOT more about this saw in the coming months as it progresses towards release to the public this summer.

We're just seeing if there are any final quirks that need to be addressed before they go into full production. So far, just very very minor issues.

Frank Trinkle
04-02-2009, 2:34 PM
I did have problems with both axels too. Just the end of the axel with the shoulder. The threads in the axels weren't right. I ended up tapping both axels, and running a die over the bolts. It is an 8x1.25 tap and die if anyone cares.

I talked with the Technical folks at SawStop today after having written them a long email with my first impressions and notes I took during the assembly process.

They confirm that there was a manufacturing problem with the threads on the mobile stands. Apparently the factory didn't rethread after powder coating and the powder coating is almost as hard as original steel. They are shipping me a new bold after I stripped the other one, and I also tapped with 8x1.25 (metric) after which I placed a temporary hex head bolt I bought at HD without a problem. I'll replace with the pretty black one when I get it from SS.

Fantastic, and very quick responses from SS from my email and then by phone! They are going to sell a PILE of these saws when they release them to the public! Powermatic and Delta have GOT to be shaking in their boots! (PM2000 and Unisaw competition)