PDA

View Full Version : feeder set up

jim sauterer
04-01-2009, 7:18 PM
i recently picked up a 1/2 h.p. grizz power feeder for my delta shaper.anyone have pics of their feeder mounted to the shaper.i have seen the steel plate that you bolt the feeder to and then secure to the table.any pics or suggestions appreciated.thanks jim

Steve Clardy
04-01-2009, 9:03 PM
Most are mounted to the left rear side, back a ways from your fence a couple of inches.
Use the supplied 4 bolts.
Cast iron drills real easy. Just add a drop of oil on your drill bit.
Be sure and check the casting ribs under the top before you drill those holes. A rib might be in the way.
Don't need any booboo's there.

Chris Rosenberger
04-01-2009, 9:20 PM
I drilled the table on a Powermatic 27S shaper. I found out later that it cut the resale value of the shaper. When I got an older Delta shaper I decided to make some wood mounts for the power feed. I made 2 sizes. A larger one for tables that have 2 wings & a smaller one if I want to use one wing & run the fence the other direction.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/100_0819.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/100_0818.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/100_0816.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/100_0817.jpg

Brian Peters
04-01-2009, 9:38 PM
That's a nifty block to mount with! I have the same feeder on one shaper of mine, but I went with the mounting plate. If there aren't holes there I don't add them, not unless you have a good power feeder like 1hp where it wouldn't matter for the resale anyways.

Lewis Cobb
04-01-2009, 9:41 PM
I drilled the table on a Powermatic 27S shaper. I found out later that it cut the resale value of the shaper. When I got an older Delta shaper I decided to make some wood mounts for the power feed. I made 2 sizes. A larger one for tables that have 2 wings & a smaller one if I want to use one wing & run the fence the other direction.

Sorry for the tangent here, but how did you finish that block of wood? Looks great.

Peter Quinn
04-01-2009, 9:51 PM
I don't have any pics handy but I drilled and tapped mine on the back right corner, works great. Back right, back left, either way pretty much the same. If you notice most new shapers (Jet, Powermatic, several others I have been looking at too) come with holes tapped from the factory. Not sure how this could possibly lower the value of a shaper to a serious user? Assuming you do a good job, almost every feeder I have seen has the same mount pattern. I guess they all don't, but most comatic and steff machines do anyway.

Comatic apparently makes a mount that allows the feeder to fold away under the table like those nifty mounts on the Felder tools. I saw it on their web site though I have never seen it for sale anywhere.

If you have not drilled and tapped steel before it can be a bit unnerving to poke holes in the table of a valued machine, but it is easy to do with a few tools and bits and a bit of explanation that should be easy to get here at the creek.

Chris Rosenberger
04-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Thank you Brian.

Lewis, I used Rustoleum gloss black spray paint.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Chris, I used to have a shaper like yours, and I always wondered why the miter gauge slot runs the direction that it does. Sure seemed to me that it should run parallel to the way that you have your fence set.

Sorry for the tangent, good looking machine, glad you posted the photos.

Rod Sheridan
04-02-2009, 7:55 AM
i recently picked up a 1/2 h.p. grizz power feeder for my delta shaper.anyone have pics of their feeder mounted to the shaper.i have seen the steel plate that you bolt the feeder to and then secure to the table.any pics or suggestions appreciated.thanks jim

Hi Jim, I made an adapter from 1/2" steel so that I could pick up the holes on the side of my shaper table. (I had to drill one extra on each side to yield 2 holes per side.)

The original holes were 12mm, so I tapped two additional 12mm holes to keep all the bolts the same.

The feeder which isn't shown is a Hammer HC 308....Rod.

Mike Heidrick
04-02-2009, 2:07 PM
http://mysite.verizon.net/resoh894/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/shaper.jpg

Not the best picture of the mount but one of the feeder mounted. I have the goofy Delta miter track as well (5hp for $900 so I am not complaining!). You can mount it parallel to the miter track with smaller table or perpendicular and use a wider table. This setup makes you dream of a Powermatic 2700 shaper! Oh well, I am very happy with mine.

I drilled and tapped it in this position as I can use it with teh fence in either position and it does not restrict the fence movement or wood path at all. Watch for the underneath extension ribs and make sure you allow enough room for the head of the nut AND the socket to hold it while installing it. Cast iron drills easily.

Tools-plus has the cheapest shipping (shy of free if you can find that on a 133lb feeder) on the comatic Delta branded feeders from what I have found if anyone is looking at them.

jim sauterer
04-02-2009, 9:30 PM
thanks to all.appreciate the photos and comments.