PDA

View Full Version : gloat and question

curtis rosche
04-01-2009, 6:04 PM
so, i went to scouts last night and what did i see? a pile of walnut:eek:!!!! i said, nope nope nope, cant use this for fire wood inside """"its a hazard"""":rolleyes::D
so i loaded up the trunk of my car, and now i have some walnut, mainly crotches. i will get pictures later, but this is that "colored" walnut, nnot the plain brown stuff, this has the really nice colors to it like that big dish/bowl i broke that toolrest on so long ago.

now here is the question, this is the first time i have waxed any peices, i dont have any old pots or pans around but i did have one of those huge boyscout popcorn tins sitting around, so i put to pounds of wax in it and put it on the grill. it works really well on the side burner, but 2-3 of the ends wont fit in the tin, either because of size or the angle of the cut edge. is there a way to apply wax with out a pot or pan? also how many coats of wax should go on? the peices i did cover, i set in the wax till is sizzled then took it out.

Judy Kingery
04-01-2009, 6:14 PM
Hi Curtis,

Yes, I generally use just a paint brush to brush the wax on. Can't have the wax too hot or you'll shrivel up/curl/burn the bristles, though. But it works fine for me, melt the wax to liquid, paint it on, let dry. Usually I just do one coat on just ends. Seems like lots of people dip their blanks; I generally only wax ends with a brush, works aok.

Best to you!

Jude

Harvey Mushman
04-01-2009, 7:01 PM
Curtis.....Do yourself a favor and get some Anchorseal. It is far easier to use than wax, not to mention more effective.....Besides, melting wax can present a danger. If you try and melt parrafin directly over a flame, it could burst into flames. Wax can be safely melted using a double boiler.

Mike Peace
04-01-2009, 7:45 PM
I agree with Harvey. The last two symposiums I attended had one of the vendors selling anchorseal in plain gallon jugs they filled themselves. They probably buy in the 55 gal drums and can make a profit selling at $8/gal.

Brian Brown
04-01-2009, 8:47 PM
+1 to what Harvey said. Paraffin can be dangerous, especially in a thin container. if it spills and gets on you, you could be severly burned. It can also make it hard to ever get on a commercial airline flight again. (Sorry, it's a long ugly story.)

Art Jordan
04-01-2009, 9:04 PM
Some please tell me where I can buy anchorseal for eight dollars per gallon.

Local stores want $19.

art jordan

John Fricke
04-01-2009, 9:30 PM
$24 here in Michigan

Jeff Nicol
04-02-2009, 5:44 AM

Local stores want $19.

art jordan
Art, To get it down to $8 -$10 a gallon you need to find a bunch of people to go together and buy a 50 gal drum and them divide it up amongst the group. I bought 5 gallons for $75 with free shipping so that is $15 per gallon. So if a place really sells it for $8 that is one heck of a deal!

Jeff

Gordon Seto
04-02-2009, 5:52 AM
Art, To get it down to $8 -$10 a gallon you need to find a bunch of people to go together and buy a 50 gal drum and them divide it up amongst the group. I bought 5 gallons for $75 with free shipping so that is $15 per gallon.

Getting the Anchorseal from the 55 gal drum into gallon jugs is a messy job if you don't have the right equipment.

curtis rosche
04-02-2009, 6:44 AM
how much does wet walnut warp/crack? i was going to try to turn a couple thin peices.

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2009, 9:41 AM
Curtis if you don't seal the ends it will crack pretty bad in some cases. I have had some that would crack as deep as 2" in a few days.

Nathan Hawkes
04-02-2009, 12:52 PM

Local stores want $19.

art jordan

Art, you can buy it for about $70 for a 5gal. bucket--its $59.50 for 5 gallons of the regular, but I bought the "winterized" formula last time--its made with glycol added so that it won't freeze. If the regular formula freezes, its ruined--it separates and can't be mixed back up again. Its worth it for me to spend the extra $5. It flows a bit better in the winterized formula as well.

https://www.uccoatings.com/Home/WebStore?ProductSKU=AS5G

Curtis, I put on one very thick coat on blanks, and two coats on log ends. If I'm going to be keeping something around for a long time and not turning it within a few months I put two coats on the end grain.