PDA

View Full Version : vacuum chuck part

curtis rosche
04-01-2009, 3:37 PM
i got my pump yesterday. i emailed the guy that Steve noted in his how to article, and his company doesnt make a fitting that will fit my spindle. i need to find the fiting to go from the spindle to the hose. my spindle is 3/4 dia outside, and 3/8 inside. does any one know where a fitting can be found?

Jason Clark2
04-01-2009, 4:11 PM
Make your own, mine is made from some scrap walnut, a double sealed bearing from Lowes, a 1/4" NPT to 1/2" NPT bushing, a couple of rubber o rings, a 90 degree elbow and 1/4" NPT to 3/8" hose barb. I have about $20 invested in mine.

I started by drilling a 1/4" through hole in center of my scrap walnut. I also drilled a recess for the bearing. I then turned the front shaft of the walnut to fit inside the 5/8" through hole on my headstock. 2 small coves were turned to fit the 5/8" OD O rings. The threads were then turned off of the 1/4" NPT to 1/2" NPT bushing to fit the inner bore on the double sealed bearing and the bearing was epoxied into the recess. The elbow and 1/4" NPT to 3/8" hose barb were then threaded in place and the hose hooked up.

PM me if you have any questions.

Jason

Chris Haas
04-01-2009, 9:30 PM
nice job jason, i made mine out of some scrap corian from a cabinet shop, works like a charm and it only cost about 10 bucks to build. definetly easy and rewarding.

Ryan Baker
04-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Tom is making an adapter for me too.

What lathe do you have? Is the outboard spindle threaded or smooth?

curtis rosche
04-02-2009, 6:45 AM
i have an old old craftsman 101.something it is threaded on the outboard side, but he said it was to small

Dave Schell
04-02-2009, 8:54 AM
Curtis, Tom couldn't help me out either because my Vicmarc was internally threaded. I instead made the adapter myself using a plan similiar to the one already posted, but instead of a morse taper with two o-rings, I used a bolt with the same thead as my lathe, drilled a hole through it, and attached it through the adapter. Worked fine. Although for version 2 of the adapter, I bought a Bealls tap to match my outside threading and directly threaded the adapter body itself - works even better.

curtis rosche
04-02-2009, 10:16 AM
i think i will put a peice of pvc over the threads and epoxy the bearing to the pvc, the inner hole is to small to put something in

Ryan Baker
04-02-2009, 8:01 PM
That is almost surely a 3/4-16 thread ... which is what all the Craftsman lathe spindles seem to be. You can pick up a standard 3/4-16 threaded hex nut at the hardware store and epoxy your adapter onto that. It makes a much nicer and more secure attachment.

curtis rosche
04-02-2009, 8:18 PM
thats a much better idea , thanks Ryan.

curtis rosche
04-02-2009, 8:52 PM
i just thought about it aand i dont think the hardware store carries reverse thread nuts

Ryan Baker
04-03-2009, 10:07 PM
My local ACE/ACO has them (left hand thread). Look in the little drawers and I bet you will find them. Or you could try something like Lowes.