PDA

View Full Version : Table saw and mobile base

William Long
04-01-2009, 2:43 PM
I just got my Grizzly G0691 and based on my layout I think I'm going to need a mobile base. My question is... I know there are universal mobile bases and I've seen some specific to the longer 50+" table saws that have an extra extension. What do you guys do? Do you have a mobile base just under the cabinet part? Under the cabinet and extension wing? I'm interested in a purchased one, not a home made model.

Doug Shepard
04-01-2009, 7:05 PM
I've sworn off universal type bases. I've had 3 (all different makes) and dont think they remain very solid over time. I think a welded frame type is a much better choice for anything heavy. I just swapped out bases about a month ago because I needed a longer one to allow for a heavier TS router extension and cabinet to support it. I ended up going with one of the EX series from HTC though I didn't need to actually use the outrigger portion of it.
http://www.htcproductsinc.com/downloads/HTC_Catalog_2006.pdf

William Long
04-01-2009, 7:41 PM
Man. $229 for a mobile base. Maybe I'll just drag it across the floor :).

Rod Sheridan
04-02-2009, 8:06 AM
Hi William, I don't have the 50" version of a cabinet saw I have the 32" version.

However, the support for my overarm guard does go to the mobile base, which is extended out to the end of the extension table.

The casters are under the cabinet saw, the outboard end is not supported, however it's only 1/4" above the floor so the saw couldn't tip even if I did something really stupid.

I made the base from 2 X 2 X 3/16 angle.

Regards, Rod.

William Long
04-02-2009, 8:30 AM
Is it feasible to to just put a mobile base under the main cabinet and just drag the extension table with it's feet on the floor? Does anyone do this? It would probably work better on cement; however, I have a plywood floor.

Greg Narozniak
04-02-2009, 9:53 AM
I have the stock Delta base under my Uni and it has been fine.

Can you Weld? You can make one very easy if you can. attached are some pics of one that a user on a different board made. Very well done.

If not what about drawing one up or take these pics and have a welder do it. Times are tough and I would bet it would be a lot cheaper than that the universal one listed above.

PM me if you want more details. I have a full write up about it.