PDA

View Full Version : kitchen drawer slides--undermount vs. side mount

David Croteau
04-01-2009, 2:14 PM
Besides aesthetics, what are the pros and cons of using undermount versus side mount drawer slides in a kitchen application? Is one type easier to install than the other? Do some people use the undermount for the smaller top drawer and the side mounts for the deeper, heavier drawers?

I'm planning to build some kitchen cabs for myself where most base cabs have drawers. I've been reading lots of threads here on kitchens (thanks!), but I haven't seen this question addressed head on.

Rod Goodin
04-01-2009, 3:11 PM
David,
Personally I think it comes down to aesthetics, when it comes to pleasing the wife, she prefers the under mount. I have replaced our kitchen drawers using a combination of under mounts for the small draws and side mounts for her pantry, which I believe need to be stronger(four year old uses the pantry pull outs as a latter to get to the top cupboard). All in all I think the under mounts are easier to install, however after installing multiple sets of each, between the garage and kitchen I came to the conclusion both are easy to install and are way better than the cheap contractors special @#$% that were original to the house. The pics say 1000 words in the LOML eyes.

Rod

Steve Rozmiarek
04-01-2009, 6:04 PM
Cost of the undermounts is far higher than the side mounts, undermounts take up more space under the drawer, by quite a bit. Undermounts offer a lot of wow factor if you get the softclose, and they are a bit smother to operate.

I think that mounting the undermounts are a little easier, but your cabinet construction could be designed to favor either one. If price was no object, on new construction, I'd choose undermount. Old relable side mounts work fine though, and are a fraction of the cost.

Karl Brogger
04-01-2009, 6:51 PM
One of the things I like about undermounts is that the slide is carrying the weight directly from the drawer bottom. Might not mean much either.

-They are infinetly cleaner looking

-As far as eating up height of the drawer, meh. Most drawers are way too deep any how. I figure if you gotta dig for something, its too deep.

-I think they're quieter and are smoother operating. This is coming from using almost solely KV8400's, and Accuride slides.

-Soft close really is sweet.

-They are easier to install. I like installing the retainers way more than dealing with attaching the greasy other half of a full extension drawer slide to the box. I've never sold epoxy slides with anything I've made since I went on my own.

Can you tell I'm biased? Other than trash roll outs, file drawers, and occasionally standard roll out trays I basically use nothing but Blum 562H's. I figure if I'm going to dump almost an hour of labour into a dovetail drawer I'd rather not hide all of that effort.

David Croteau
04-01-2009, 8:12 PM
Some interesting observations already, thanks.

I was considering making my base cabs a little deeper than normal to offer more countertop space. But it appears that the longest Blum 562H's are 21-inches and the max inside cab depth is 23 9/16"--unless I put some sort of filler strip in the back on which to mount the rear bracket. Hmmm.... decisions, decisions.

ETA: Okay, I found the longer Blum's.

Andy Bardowell
04-01-2009, 8:51 PM
I just finished a sideboard and chimney cupboard for the wife and used the Center-Mount Slides from Lee Valley ( 02K40 ) I really like them because they are hidden. The only thing I miss is the little drop at the back that side-mounts have to keep the drawer in.

John Morrison60
04-01-2009, 9:09 PM
Dave

I agree with Karl. The Blum 562H are easy to work with and very high quality. I have worked with KV, Accuridea and Blum. The blum Tandems
are the class of this group. If you shop online, you can find them at a good price. I have bought quite a few from A&H Turf very reasonably.

I just did some 24 inch drawers using Tandems. I fastened them to the sides of the cabinets, so I did not have to use rear brackets.
If you want depth greater than 21", you have to use their 568 series.
These cover 24", 27" and 30".

Good Luck
John

Steve Clardy
04-01-2009, 9:19 PM
I still use side mounts for all drawers.
I'm just setup/tuned in to use them.
I haven't had an interest in completely having to change operations around to use under mount slides.
And I haven't had any customers ask for them either.

Peter Quinn
04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
We use blum tandems with blumotion at work, and not much else. They roll on nylon bearings, and are very smooth and quiet. After using them side mount accurides feel like a ride on an old carnival roller coaster. And some side mounts are a bit finicky as far as the squareness of your carcass, the blums are a bit more accommodating and adjustable. They do eat up space underneath, but if you are building the boxes, who cares, just make the holes a bit bigger to get the size drawer you want. Well worth it.

I think there are massive weights that might need a side mount, but they make undermounts in some pretty heavy weight load ratings though the price will shock you. I think they go up to 200# now, or 175# at least. Good undermounts do cost more but well worth it if it fits the budget.

Howard Miller
04-02-2009, 8:19 AM
Any experience with the Blum Solo?

frank shic
04-02-2009, 2:59 PM
yes, the blum solo are cheaper and work great except that you can't get full access to the drawer and the gliding action isn't as smooth as the ball-bearings on the tandems.