PDA

View Full Version : A couple of small nut bowls from Apple wood.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-01-2009, 12:59 PM
I find holding a small bowl in your hands that doesn't have a foot feels so much better than one with a foot, but when having to set it down it might be spilling it's contents, so that was the reason I made these little bowls without a foot but with a loose base to set them into.

I was making these for Christmas gift-giving, and the deadline was right there, then the last bowl went flying as I was holding it very gingerly, and kind of hurried at the same time, well that didn't work too well :o.

So these were not done in time, and some birdhouse ornaments had to replace them as gifts :)

I just finished them the other day, they are 4½" X 1½" without the foot, and with 2 coats of polymerized tung oil as the finish.

All comments appreciated :D

Mike Spanbauer
04-01-2009, 1:11 PM
Apple is such a pretty wood, those are really attractive.

Of course, I'm allergic to nuts but I can appreciate the bowl anyway... :)

mike

Dewey Torres
04-01-2009, 1:44 PM
Another set of beauties Leo!

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2009, 1:52 PM
Very nice bowl sets Leo! Real pretty wood and I like how you matched up the bowl and base as far as grain patterns! As always - very nice work!

Ted Calver
04-01-2009, 2:26 PM
Leo,
I agree totally! These smaller bowls feel really good in the hand and ....in my house... are the kind that get used most often. Beautiful wood and a great finish. Thanks for sharing.

Bernie Weishapl
04-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Great looking bowls Leo. Like the stands.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-02-2009, 1:14 AM
Thanks for the comments guys I do appreciate it :D

Jeff Nicol
04-02-2009, 5:25 AM
Leo, Nice colors in the apple wood. The concept it very nice on the little holder for the footless bowl. I just missed out on a big apple tree that died in a friends pasture last year. The wind blew it over this spring and he pushed it to th side and had a bonfire! Always a day late and a dollar short!

Nice work,

Jeff

Leo Van Der Loo
04-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Thank you Jeff :), yes too bad the Apple tree got just burned, but that's what happens a lot, or they get chipped or just buried, there will be other though :D

steven carter
04-02-2009, 1:20 PM
Nice looking bowls Leo. They go together so well that I was wondering if you turned them as one piece and then parted the bottoms off, or did you turn them seperately? Sorry you did not get them done in time for Christmas, but there is always next year.

Steve

Gary Herrmann
04-02-2009, 2:09 PM
Those are very nice, Leo. I'm really starting to like bowls that fit in the palm of your hand.

Allen Neighbors
04-02-2009, 2:33 PM
Good looking little bowls, Leo. Bases are top notch!

Leo Van Der Loo
04-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Nice looking bowls Leo. They go together so well that I was wondering if you turned them as one piece and then parted the bottoms off, or did you turn them seperately? Sorry you did not get them done in time for Christmas, but there is always next year.

Steve

Hi Steve, thank you, the pieces were turned separate, probably from the same piece of wood just farther down, but I don't recall that exactly, and oh the Birdhouses were very well liked, and like you say there's always takers for those little things, one of the reasons that makes turning worthwhile :D

Those are very nice, Leo. I'm really starting to like bowls that fit in the palm of your hand.

Thanks for Commenting Gary, yes it's not just the looks, tactile and visual are both very important to please our senses I think :)

Good looking little bowls, Leo. Bases are top notch!

Thank you Allen, I appreciate it that you take the time to comment :D

Dennis Peacock
04-03-2009, 2:49 PM
I always like the wood of Apple wood. I've just never really had much to turn out of Apple and I've never really had good luck with apple not splitting or coming apart on me.

Nice pieces indeed.!!!! :cool:

Leo Van Der Loo
04-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks Dennis :), I never have much of a problem with Apple wood, but then I'm never in a hurry with drying it, and yes nice turning, and nice wood :D

Jarrod McGehee
04-04-2009, 3:46 PM
Leo I love your work. It's so nice. That's very good work and I'm still just in awe of your work. Nice stuff

Leo Van Der Loo
04-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks for commenting Jarrod, I appreciate it :D

kevin loftus
04-05-2009, 3:11 PM
Very nice pair of bowls Leo, they go
together just right.:)

Leo Van Der Loo
04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi Kevin :), thanks for the kind reply :D